Once you try brown butter rice krispie treats, you will never want them any other way! The nutty browned butter gives these nostalgic bars an incredible depth of flavor. Definitely not the rice krispie treat of your childhood, but the kids will still love them!
Rice Krispie treats are the ultimate nostalgia treat for me. Believe it or not, my daughter never tried them before now. I am actually one of those my-daughter-cannot-even-be-in-the-same-room-as-junk-food-and-she-must-eat-healthy-ALL-THE-TIME-while-I-munch-on-these-Doritos-in-the-closet kind of mom. Sad, I know. These brown butter Rice Krispie treats are not your ordinary Rice Krispie treats, but they don’t have any funky flavor combinations either. The brown butter gives these treats a nice nutty flavor, while still keeping the classic deliciousness of the treats.
These brown butter rice krispie treats are super marshmallow-y. And chewy. Is that how you would describe it? It’s chewy in a good way, not in a hurt-your-jaw kind of way. And super melt-in-your-mouth. Just thinking about these treats is making me crave more. These babies were gone within hours of taking these photos. I used a vanilla bean paste in my treats and they just take the flavor to the next level. I highly recommend trying it.
Enough talking. Let’s stop with the over-hyphenating everything and get to the good stuff!
If you want more rice krispie treats, try my peanut butter and jelly rice krispie treats!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I recommend vanilla bean paste)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bags (10 oz) mini marshmallows
- 8 cups rice krispies
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. You can use a larger pan if you prefer smaller treats.
- Heat the butter over medium heat until it starts to brown and give a light nutty scent. Remove from heat immediately to prevent the butter from burning.
- Add the vanilla and salt to the butter and mix.
- Add the marshmallows and mix until they melt. The heat of the pot and the butter should be enough to melt the marshmallows. If not, put the pot back on the burner and put the heat on low until the marshmallows melt.
- Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into the pan and pat down until flat. Allow to cool - about 1 - 2 hours.