Just the idea of a cream cake is mouth watering, don’t you think?
When I hear fruit paired with cream anything, I immediately think of something light, fresh and SUMMERY! And right now, I am all about the summer.
This cake… is alllll summer. It has a perfect blend of sweet and tart and the cake is ultra moist, but still light and fluffy. This peaches and apricot cake really has everything going for it. It happens to be a family favorite. I made three of these peaches and apricot cream cakes this past weekend for my family (there are six of us, plus my grandmom, aunt and cousin came by to visit) and just the tiniest amount was left for me to share with my co-workers.
The blend of apricots and peaches is 100% necessary in this cake because we get that sweet, ripe peach that bursts with flavor when you bite into it along with the slightly more tart and sturdy apricots. The two were meant to be together. Add the creaminess from the creme fraiche and you have the perfect dessert for those relaxed summer nights. If you don’t have creme fraiche, sour cream or plain yogurt works too.
When you chop your peaches (I recommend fresh, but frozen works too. Stay away from canned), save some of the juice for the glaze. The peach glaze is so addictive. I may have helped my daughter lick the bowl when we were done drizzling the cake. When you make the glaze you will see that I simply had no choice!
Enough chit chat. Now, go on and enjoy this super-moist fruity summer cake.
- ½ cup, plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, plus ¼ cup seprated
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium fresh apricots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon peach juice (can replace with additional vanilla or another fruit juice)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Cream the butters and sugars together until light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the creme fraiche and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt together, then slowly add to the wet ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the fruits and toss with the ¼ cup flour.
- Add ⅓ of the batter into the bundt pan, then layer with half the fruit. Add another ⅓ of the batter and the remaining fruit. Top with the remaining batter.
- Put the pan in the oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 and bake for about 55 - 60 minutes. Allow the cake to cool before removing from the pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together and drizzle over the top of the cooled cake.