Soft and chewy chocolate dipped triple ginger spice cookies are a classic holiday cookie you must have out for Santa this year! This cookie recipe is packed full of warm ginger spices and a delicious hit of rich chocolate.
I have been in full throtle holiday spirit this year. I think it is amplified this year since we’ve had such warm weather this year. I am just that much more determined to bring on that holiday cheer. Winter is one of my favorite seasons (honestly, I love all seasons except summer!) because of the vibrant and warm spices associated wtih the season. I am especially fond of ginger and really wanted to make the ginger pop with these cookies which is why these are triple ginger spice cookies. Triple the ginger, triple the flavor!
I find that most ginger spice cookies simply don’t have nearly enough ginger in them. If you are going to use ginger – then use it! Don’t be shy with it. Here, I use powdered ginger, ginger paste, and candied ginger. So now there is a nice kick of ginger, but still not so much that it makes it too spicy and hard to eat. The chocolate adds a nice touch to really complement the different ginger flavors in the cookies.
What makes these triple ginger spice cookies amazing is that they stay nice and soft and chewy days after you make them which makes them a great cookie to give out during the holidays. At my house, this is the cookie of choice we leave out for santa. We also leave out a warm vanilla and cinnamon spiced milk because we want to keep Santa warm. That probably won’t be an issue this year though!
Triple Ginger Spice Cookies
Delicious soft and chewy triple ginger cookies packed with warm ginger flavor. A Christmas must-have!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup candied (crystallized) ginger, diced and divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnmon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 9 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, 1/3 cup of the crystallized ginger, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside
- In a mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together and beat until it is light and fluffy. Add in the egg, molasses, ginger paste, and 2 teaspoons of the ground ginger and cinnamon and beat well.
- Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Mix together the remaining ground ginger and the granulated sugar together and place on a plate or in a bowl.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll into a ball. Roll the ball of dough in the ginger sugar and place the dough on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, leaving about 1 - 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. The cookies should look cracked and still soft in the centers. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in the microwave by heating in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 second increments at 50% power, mixing every 30 seconds.
- Dip the cookies halfway into the chocolate and place back on the parchment-lined baking sheets and sprinkle the remaining crystallized ginger on top of the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to harden.