Celebrate everything we love about fall with this apple cider hot toddy with brown butter bourbon! This apple cider cocktail recipe is the perfect drink to have cozying up in a chunky sweater with good book.
So remember how I said I am all about apple and apple cider this year? Remember how I also kept promising that I would bring more simple cocktails like this apple pie moonshine to the blog?
Well, ta-daah! I didn't really plan on sharing this apple cider hot toddy on the blog, but I've been making it as my daily nightcap before bed for over a month now. If that's not a sign that something needs to be on the site, then I don't know what is.
The apple cider hot toddy is sweet and a little decadent thanks to the brown butter bourbon. During cheese camp I was talking all things drinks with Carey from Reclaiming Provincial and she mentioned she made a brown butter-infused whiskey for a cocktail. That idea really stuck with me until I finally made some of my own.
Oh my gosh guys, brown butter bourbon is the best thing ever and you need to make it right away. It is incredibly easy to make with minimal effort. What's best is that you can save the butter - you know, the brown butter that has all the tasty oaky bourbon flavors - to bake. I made chocolate chip cookies and I swear they were the most amazing cookies I've ever made in my life.
The bourbon retains the flavors of the brown butter, but also retains some of the rich, mouth-coating texture of the butter. It adds an incredible decadence to it that elevates everything you put it in. Of course, my favorite is to add some to my apple cider hot toddy for a cozy fall nightcap.
Go ahead, try it.
You can thank me later. 😉
Oh, and if you want to learn how to make your own apple cider at home, you have to look up my guide which includes instructions for making apple cider using a stovetop, slow cooker, AND instant pot. Don't forget to pair it with my apple cider doughnut cake.
If you try this recipe, please tag me on instagram! Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, and sign up to my newsletter so you never miss out on another tasty treat!
Apple Cider Hot Toddy with Brown Butter Bourbon
Brown Butter Bourbon
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces bourbon
Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- 9 ounces apple cider
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces brown butter bourbon
Brown Butter Bourbon
- Add the butter to a skillet and heat on medium. Stir the butter constantly until it turns brown and emits a warm, nutty aroma, then immediately remove from heat.
- Allow the butter to cool to about room temperature.
- Add the butter and the bourbon to an air tight container and stir well.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Stir well to reblend the butter into the bourbon, then transfer to the freezer overnight. The butter should be solidified.
- Strain the bourbon from the butter. Reserve the butter for cooking or baking (I used mine for the most amazing cookies ever).
- Keep the bourbon in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Apple Cider Hot Toddy
- Add the cider and cinnamon to a small saucepan and heat on medium for about 5 minutes, or until it is at a low boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the vanilla bean paste and bourbon.
- Serve in your favorite mug.
I'm not finding the actual recipe for the toddy here. It keeps showing multiple copies of the Brown Butter Bourbon recipe only. How much apple cider, what spices? The photo shows slices of apple...
Amanda Powell says
Thank you for letting me know. We recently switched out the company we use for the recipe cards, and it appears that some of the recipes did not switch over correctly.
9 oz apple cider
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 oz brown butter bourbon
apple to garnish (optional)
Add the cider and cinnamon to a small saucepan and heat on medium for about 5 minutes, or until it is at a low boil.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the vanilla and bourbon.
Serve in your favorite mug.
Looks lovely ♥
This looks super comforting!
Rony Jahid says
Wow sounds really nice! It will makes me fresh, because it has very healthy elements. I cant wait to sip this drinks. Very nice sharing.