Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream Recipe – With and Without Ice Cream Maker
- 3 ripe bananas
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons banana pudding powder mix
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup quartered Nilla wafers
Peanut Butter Swirl (optional)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and put unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet.
- Bake the bananas for about 10 - 15 minutes, or until skins are completely black and you can smell the bananas. Allow to cool before unpeeling the bananas and scooping it out. Mash the bananas and set aside.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and half cup of sugar until smooth and light in color.
- Mix the milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar and salt together in a medium pot and heat to a low rumble. Do not allow it to boil.
- Slowly add about a cup of the cream mixture to the eggs and mix. This is to help raise the egg temperature without cooking them.
- Add the tempered eggs, mashed banana and banana pudding mix to the hot cream and stir constantly until the custard sticks to your wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Prepare an ice bath and soak the pot with the custard in the bath, being careful not to get any of the water inside the pot of custard. Allow to cool completely.
- Strain the custard and mix in the vanilla extract.
- If you are using an ice cream maker, follow the manufacturer instructions then put in a container. Fold in the whipped cream and Nilla wafters. Mix the peanut butter and honey and heat in the microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds. Add the peanut butter and swirl. Freeze until completely set.
- If you are not using an ice cream maker, put the custard in a container and freeze for 45 minutes. Take out the ice cream and break up any frozen areas and vigorously mix the ice cream, preferably with an immersion blender. Repeat this process of freezing and breaking up the frozen areas about 3 - 4- times. Fold in the whipped cream and Nilla Wafers. Mix the peanut butter and honey and heat in the microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds. Add the peanut butter and swirl. Freeze until completely set.
Recipe by A Cookie Named Desire at https://cookienameddesire.com/banana-cream-pie-ice-cream-recipe-without-ice-cream-maker/