These chocolate lava cakes are the perfect dessert for you and your significant other (or yourself, I don't judge). The best part? You can totally make it in the microwave! Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post. Rio Luna Organic Peppers are certified organic, non-GMO, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. For flavorful and spicy recipe ideas follow Rio Luna on Facebook and Instagram.
If you're favorite person is all about the chocolate, then you know you've got to make a chocolate lava cake for dessert. They're so easy to make, and someone with zero cooking or baking skills can still make an amazing lava cake that anyone would love.
Plus, the recipe makes enough for just two chocolate lava cakes, which means you don't have to worry about having a ton of leftovers you accidentally overindulge in later that night. It's a win-win.
Most chocolate lava cakes get that gooey filling by under cooking the cake. Which is....fine. I guess. If you are into under cooked cake. But for anyone who doesn't want to walk that line, the best solution is a ganache filling. That way the filling gets nice and gooey from a pool of melty chocolate. It's so good.
What I also like about using a ganache center is you can infuse the ganache with different flavors. One thing I like is the combination of sweet and spicy, so I infused the heavy cream with Rio Luna's Organic Peppers (you can find their peppers at Krogers or Whole Foods. Use this link for a coupon). It adds a subtle heat without changing up the taste of the chocolate.
I love that the peppers are certified organic, non-GMO, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. They're really high quality that professional chefs also use.
For added heat, you can also add a bit of pepper into the cake itself. All you need to do is mash the pepper down to a puree.
What I love most about this chocolate lava cake is that it is made in the microwave. That means you don't have to wait forever for it to make. You can also make sure the cakes are fresh right after dinner without having to stress about timing. If you want, you can prep the cake ahead of time, and then pop them in the microwave right after dinner.
Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Rio Luna peppers any variety
- 2.5 oz chocolate
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons Rio Luna pepper puree* optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Rinse the peppers.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream and the peppers together until the mixture starts to bubble at the edges. Simmer for about 3 - 4 minutes. Strain the mixture in a fine mesh strainer, pressing against the peppers.
- Add the chocolate into the heavy cream and chill in the refrigerator until hardened.
- Grease two 6 - 8 oz ramekins and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla, and the pepper (if using). Whisk well for about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter among the ramekins, then roll a heaping tablespoon of ganache into a ball and place in the batter until it is fully covered.
- Microwave one ramekin for 1 minute and 15 seconds, or two for 2 minutes. Allow to sit for a minute, then carefully turn out onto a plate (be careful as the ramekin will still be hot)