In an effort to bring you some healthier, but delicious treats, I decided to share one of my favorite snacks to bring with me to work: vegan chocolate blueberry energy balls. You see, I work in a customer-service related position and I need to always have the energy to deal with the not-so-nice clients and the chocolate blueberry keeps me happy!
These energy balls are so delicious, simple to make and are completely vegan! The end product is a little sticky, so I like to create a coating so they don’t stick to your hands. Here are two options I like to use:
- Powdered sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon (pictures)
- Powdered coconut flakes and cocoa powder.
Both coatings are equally delicious and highly addictive! For me, it’s the mix of frozen and dried blueberries that make this recipe. It gives you an ultra delicious and fresh blueberry taste that you just can’t get anywhere. You can use any frozen blueberries (or opt for just the dried blueberries), but I really love the Wyman Wild Blueberries. They are so good and are a staple in my house.
What makes these so great is that these energy balls are 100% packed with nutrients to keep you going throughout the day. Plus chocolate + blueberry = love. Enough said, right? You can also tailor the balls to include your favorite seeds and nuts or whatever you have on-hand. The recipe is very forgiving. I also add raw meal to my energy balls for that extra bit of nutrition (my favorite is Juvo, but again, you can use anything!)
- 1 cup fresh dates
- ¼ cup almonds or cashews
- ⅓ cup dried blueberries
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup hemp hearts or hemp seeds
- ¼ cup protein powder or raw meal
- pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup frozen blueberries
- Place everything in a blender or food processor except for the frozen blueberries. Mix until everything is fully broken down and you are able to mold it. You may have to occasionally scrape down the sides of the container.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries by hand.
- Divide the mixture in tablespoons and form into balls.
- Roll each ball in your favorite coating. I recommend one of the two mixtures described earlier.