There is nothing more fun than making your own breakfast cereal and milk bars! These tasty treats are the perfect way to mix up your snacks and experiment with different cereals!
You wouldn’t think that someone working from home would be running around a lot, but I feel as though I am out and about running errands more now than when I was working in an office. I am always taking my daughter to classes or play dates and running to so many different stores to find just the right ingredients and just the right props. I can’t even imagine how things will be once she is in school!
More often than not, we tend to skip meals or eat on the go. I hate going out for fast food or a restaurant all the time because it gets expensive and can still slow us down, so I try and keep snacks on-hand for us. Now, usually I like to go for something like an energy bite, but Nadia craves something fun she can get really excited to share. To do that, I will make a few cereal and milk bars for her to snack on.
I like to make a batch about once a week using different cereals we find at Target like the classic Rice Krispies, or getting a little funky with Krave or Apple Jacks. My daughter’s favorites are Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks because of the fun colors. These bars are so simple to put together. It’s simply a matter of mixing everything together with a bit of heat, then packing it down as tight as possible before slicing. I absolutely love the milk glaze because it adds to that morning bowl of cereal taste that we love.
Breakfast Cereal and Milk Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 7 cups Apple Jacks or other Kellogg’s breakfast cereal of your choice
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook until browned and nutty smelling.
- Add the marshmallows then stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Pour in the cereal and mix to thoroughly combine. Pour the cereal mixture into the pan and pat down well.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, skim milk powder, and water together until creamy. Pour over the cereal bars.
- Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
These look great. Will the glaze harden up?
Amanda Powell says
It will dry out, but not become hared.
David @ Spiced says
What a fun and delicious twist on a classic snack! I could go for one of these bars right about now! #client
Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps says
Ahhhh these are what dreams are made of! 🙂
fatur akbar says
thankyou very much, That pict making me hungry
Beeta @ Mon Petit Four says
What a great idea, Amanda! These bars look sensational. I love that you added the milk glaze - I can imagine it giving the bars that perfect morning bowl of cereal taste that you described. So yummy!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
These are so cute! Love the festive colors 🙂