Brownies just got a major upgrade with these brownie fries. Slices of brownie get covered in chocolate and sprinkled with salt for an amazing sweet & salty combination. Make this brownie recipe even better by dipping them in berry sauce “ketchup” and yogurt “mayo”
We recently got a Red Robin in our area and I was so excited to try them out. I didn’t really know what to expect, I thought they were kind of like Applebee’s or Chili’s. During one of my visits I was checking out their dessert menu and was so completely drawn in by this dessert they call Fruffles (fries + truffles). They are basically fudgy brownies covered in chocolate and topped with salt. I was so taken with the dessert and wanted to try it, but by the time I was finished my burger and bottomless(!!!) fries, I was too full. So, I decided to make my own.
This is possibly the best idea I’ve had in years. Seriously people, this stuff is what happiness is made of! I made a berry ketchup like they did and for the “mayo” I simply used some vanilla honey Greek yogurt. The “condiments” are great because they add a nice bit of freshness and rounds out the dessert. Don’t forget them. It’s so easy to use. I just pureed some berries with a tablespoon of jam and that was it.
Now get some brownie fries in your life!
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler. Mix the sugar and eggs together, then add to the melted chocolate.
- Stir in the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix until there are no lumps. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until no longer jiggly. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into thin fry-like shape (I cut the pan in half lengthwise, then several times the opposite way.) Optionally freeze the fries on a baking sheet to make it easier to dip in the chocolate.
- Melt the 10 ounces of chocolate over a double boiler. Coat each of the brownie fries with the melted chocolate and then sprinkle with the salt. Leave to harden on a wax sheet.