Let’s start off the New Year on the right track with these lightened flourless chocolate cakes. These delicious chocolate cakes are rich and fudgy like brownies, but only a fraction of the calories. Bonus: these mini cakes are vegan and gluten-free!
You know I love rich and decadent treats more than anything, but I am also fond of a lighter treat that still hits those decadent flavors, but with fewer calories. I mean, there’s nothing better than a lightened dessert that doesn’t taste lightened, right? Well that’s where these lightened flourles chocolate cakes come in. When you bite into one of these mini chocolate cakes, you won’t believe that they are low calorie, vegan, AND gluten-free.
The trick to getting these lightened flourless chocolate cakes to taste so rich without all the calories is in two things: use actual chocolate (vegan chocolate to keep it vegan, but you can use regular dark or semi-sweet chocolate if that isn’t a selling point for you) for a rich flavor and the help of Zing™ Baking Blend to keep the calories low. Zing™ Baking Blend is a mix of stevia leaf extract and pure cane sugar which helps cut down calories because Zing Baking Blend is only 5 calories per teaspoon! What I love about the Baking Blend is that it bakes and browns like sugar, meaning you can use it in most of your recipes! (you will need about half as much of the Zing™ Baking Blend as sugar, for instance, 1/2 cup of Baking Blend instead of 1 cup of sugar in a cake)
These flourless chocolate cakes are so rich and chocolaty that a serving is really only half of the mini cakes. I love to top them with a very light dusting of powdered sugar and some pomegranate arils to help brighten the lightened flourless chocolate cakes for a delicious treat. I love to serve them at New Year’s Eve for anyone who wants to be able to enjoy themselves during the celebrations without having to feel guilty the next day.
- 8 ounces chocolate (vegan chocolate to keep the recipe vegan)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup Zing™ Baking Blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional, but recommended)
- 4 large flax eggs*
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- powdered sugar for topping (optional)
- pomegrante arils for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease six mini spring form pans (mine are about 3½ inches) with coconut oil.
- Heat the chocolate and coconut oil together until melted. Stir to mix together and allow to cool
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl and beat in the Zing™, salt, vanilla extract, and chocolate extract until well combined.
- Add in the flax eggs one at a time and beat well between each addition.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and beat well.
- Evenly divide the batter among your baking pans. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the cakes are
- puffed and set in the middle. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before running a knife between the cake
- and side of the pan and releasing from the mold. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Top with any light toppings of your choice such as powdered sugar, pomegranate arils. or other fresh fruit.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.