So, I mentioned my love affair with breakfast before, right? I mean, sometimes I'll eat breakfast foods unitl 11pm just because they're so delicious. I also have a -thing- for scones because they are the perfect breakfast hand food that I can munch on everywhere. These lemon blueberry scones are one of my favorites. It is not like your traditional scone as these are a little more moist(I don't know if you can tell, but I love the cakes and sweet breads to be on the moist side), and there is a sweet, crunchy, golden brown streusel topping.
These scones are filled to the max with fresh blueberries that burst with flavor in every bite. The flavor is brightened and intensified with a hint of lemon and finished with the deliciously crunchy streusel topping. This is so delicious, I swear you will be tempted to eat a whole batch on your own. Go on, I won't tell anyone.
Don't have time to bake these incredible scones now? Pin it for later!
Lemon Blueberry Scones with Streusel Topping
- 2 cups 250 g all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup 67 mL heavy cream
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups 225 g fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup 31 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine your flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter using your hands or pastry cutter until the flour resembles large crumbs.
- Mix the lemon zest, juice, heavy cream and eggs in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Dig a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Use a fork to combine. Once a dough forms, use your hands to full incorporate the egg mixture into the dough. Fold in the blueberries.
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and form into a square that is about 1" thick. Cut into 8 pieces and separate each slice so they are not quite touching.
- Make the streusel topping by combining all the ingredients together and using a fork to mix well until large crumbs form. Cover the scones with the streusel topping and bake for about 20 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Transfer the finished scones to a wire rack to cool and enjoy.