A creamy, lightly floral coconut matcha ice cream made with only six simple ingredients, you will reach for a scoop of this ice cream over and over again through the summer. This post is sponsred by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze almondmilk. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love!
You know how ice cream obsessed I am. I've always been curious about vegan ice cream. I just had no clue how the whole thing worked. What do you use for the fat to keep it from getting icy? A vegan ice cream appearing on the blog has been a long time coming and we are starting with this coconut matcha ice cream. I mean, I am still celebrating the start of summer here!
As it turns out, getting a creamy, smooth vegan ice cream isn't as hard as I thought and there are a few common ways to do it.
I decided to use both.
We get fat from using full fat coconut milk. You really need to use the good stuff otherwise the coconut will just be way too overpowering and it will also not emulsify properly. This will leave you with ice cream that has small chunks of coconut which will feel grainy on the tongue. So I recommend using a high quality coconut milk - preferably organic. To thicken the ice cream, and keep the ice cream from getting too icy, we add a vegan gelatin. (I use unflavored Jel from Bakol.) This also helps make the ice cream easier to scoop.
Right now, I can't think of anything better than embracing summer, laying out by the sun, and eating two large scoops of coconut matcha ice cream.
P.S. Both Almond Breeze and CND care about what you think. We would love it if you could take less than 5 minutes of your time to do a very quick survey. Readers who take the survey and come back and comment here saying you took it will be entered for the chance to win one (1) $50 VISA gift card! The survey can be found here.
Matcha Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 teaspoon vegan gelatin
- 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk (go for the good stuff)
- 2 cups Almond Breeze almondmilk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the gelatin with a tablespoon of the coconut milk to bloom. Mix together all the ingredients together in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the gelatin. Stir well until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to chill in the refrigerator until very cold.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions. Place in an airtight container and freeze until firm.