A simple method for getting the flavors of your favorite chicken Cornish pasty at home without a lot of fuss. This delicious pasty will be a new favorite!
The one food that I absolutely miss from living on campus in college was that I was minutes away from the Cornish Pasty Co. I was obsessed (and I mean obsessed) with Cornish pasties. The flaky, buttery pastry with the hot, über filling chicken (or beef) with veggies and cheese paired with an ice cold lager. Oh. My. God. That stuff is seriously addictive.
Cornish Pasty Co has a ton of different pasties from which you can choose. My favorites were the cheesy chicken and broccoli and the traditional beef. I always ended up getting their regular chicken pasty more than anything though because it just has this wholesome heartiness that really cannot be compared. This is why I decided this simple chicken Cornish pasty had to be the recipe I shared with you today.
This chicken Cornish pasty is a modification from the traditional pasty, but is incredibly simple to make with only a few ingredients and only a couple of short steps. I love to make these pasties when I need something easy but hearty to eat. If you are looking for a more traditional pasty, this might not be the recipe for you, but if you want something that is easy to prepare and tastes incredible, then keep on going!
Now, one of my baking foes is puff pastry. I loathe making puff pastry more than anything. There is just something about puff pastry that hates me so I can never get it just right. Still, I try and I try. If you decide to use a premade puff pastry, I won’t blame you for one second. For this recipe, I did try and make my own puff pastry. This is the puff pastry recipe I used in case you were wondering.
Don’t have time to make these delicious pasties now? Pin it for later!
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) chicken, raw, diced finely
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large rutabaga, cut in small cubes
- 1/2 large potato, cut in small cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- Cut the pastry to 4 - 6 inch rounds that are about 1/4 inch thick. You should get about 4 pastry rounds from a pre-packaged puff pastry.
- Mix the chicken, onion, rutabaga, potato and garlic together in a medium bowl. Add the spices and mix.
- Evenly divide the filling among half of each of the pastry rounds. Leave a small space around the edges.
- Fold over the uncovered pastry to create a semi-circle and roll up the edges. Slice a few slits in the middle of the pasty to allow steam to escape.
- Lightly whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush the tops and edges of the pasties with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the pasties are a beautiful golden brown.
Serving Size:1 pasty
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 337mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g