Can I take a moment to reach out for some parenting advice? We are in threenager hell at the moment and I feel like I am dealing with one tantrum right after another. I also cannot tell my daughter not to do something (no matter how nicely I say it), without the water works. I’ve always been very patient with her and try to do what I can to discourage the behavior, but sometimes I feel like it is just better to let her win and I hate that. The problem is: she gets my incredible stubbornness, so we tend to butt heads a lot. Threenager really is the best way to describe our situation right now! So any tips on that are so welcome!
Back to the food.
When I first decided I wanted to start eating healthy and get the most nutritional bang for my calorie buck (that’s a thing, right?), I started to obsess over beans and chickpeas, in particular. They’re just so tasty and suuuuper filling. Plus, they have a kind of meaty texture that is so satisfying to munch.
I came up with this salad when I had a serious salad craving and basically nothing in the house. It’s my little MacGyver salad.
And it’s good.
I mean, it’s really good.
What I really love about this salad is that it is ridiculously fast and easy to make. And it travels well. Oh, it tastes even better the next day. For such a quick salad, it is really packed with crunch and flavor – the two big factors I look for in a good salad.
This has since become my go-to salad for when I want something simple, but packed with flavor and will easily fill me up. By the way, did I mention how yum this salad is?
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 medium cucumber, about 6 inches long
- 1 cup mixed cherry tomatoes
- ¼ medium red onion
- ¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
- Mix the lime juice and oil in a small bowl for the dressing.
- Finely chop the garlic and add to the dressing along with the lime zest, cumin, paprika, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and fresh cilantro. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium/large bowl, add the chickpeas and set aside.
- Slice the cucumber, then chop each slice into quarters, add to the chickpeas.
- Quarter the mixed cherry tomatoes,then finely chop the onion and add both to the salad.
- Mix the salad and coat int he dressing. If you are adding feta cheese, crumble and fold into the bowl of salad.