Weeknights just got so much better with this comforting slow cooker chicken pot pie made with garlic cheese biscuits. Don't be surprised when this is requested every week!
One of my favorite things about fall is probably one of the same reasons other people love fall. The food. There is nothing like being able to put those delicious salads to the side and dig into something a little more hearty and comforting. Nothing can beat going home after a long day and being welcomed by the enticing smell of a slow cooker chicken pot pie simmering and waiting for you to dig in. And then remembering there's garlic cheddar biscuits waiting for you to dip them in said chicken pot pie? Yeah, there's nothing better.
During the cooler months, I live and die by my slow cooker. Sure, I work from home and can take the time to whip up a meal, but there is something about having your dinner slowly cooking as you work and clean up around the house that makes it so much better. Plus, there is nothing like being able to start something in the morning, forgetting it, and running around, doing errands, or spending time with the family only to come home with some slow cooker chicken pot pie already prepared for you. Ammiright? Yeah, I know I am.
This recipe for slow cooker chicken pot pie actually comes from Slow Cook Modern by Liana Krissoff with a couple of adjustments, mainly in the biscuit department. I added a bit more cheese as well as some herbs and garlic to the biscuits so they'd really pop and make a great side dish to just about anything else you make. I also used chicken breast instead of chicken thighs because I never seem to remember to pick some up. I also skipped the peas because we simply weren't into that idea.
I tell you, the slow cooker chicken pot pie is incredible, but these biscuits deserve to be made on the daily. Everything I've tried in this cookbook has been amazing so if you are as in love with your slow cooker as I am, then you definitely need to get this book. My only real complaint about the book, and this recipe specifically, is that I feel that the ratios are a bit off. The biscuit recipe makes several large biscuits, but the chicken pot pie does not serve as many people as the biscuits do. You can make 8 large biscuits, but the chicken pot pie serves only four, so I recommend freezing half the biscuits, or doubling the recipe for the slow cooker chicken pot pie and saving the rest for tomorrow's lunch.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 lbs chicken breast and/or thighs, diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery stalks diced
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- garlic cheddar biscuits recipe follows
- Turn on the slow cooker to low. Add the all-purpose flour and the salt into the slow cooker, plus a few pinches of pepper (add as much or as little as you usually prefer). Give it a quick stir to mix. Add the diced chicken and toss to coat.
- Add the oil to a large skillet heated to medium-high. Add the coated chicken and the onion to the skillet and cook until browned. (There should be flour left in the slow cooker and that's okay). You may have to cook the chicken and onion in batches.
- Return the chicken and onion to the slow cooker. Pour the stock into the skillet to loosen and browned bits in the skillet and add the bits and stock to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the parsley to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. (Or you can cook on high for 4 hours.)
- Start the biscuit dough in the morning (recipe follows) and leave in the refrigerator until 20 minutes before the chicken is finished. Bake just before serving.
- When ready to serve, fold in the parsley. Serve the chicken with the biscuits.
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning optional
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut in cubes and cold
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups milk heavy cream or half and half work, cold
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, seasoning, and garlic powder together.
- Cut in the butter into the flour mixture using two forks or a pastry cutter. Toss in the shredded cheese. If making this recipe in the morning for the slow cooker chicken pot pie, cover and place the bowl in the refrigerator until 20 minutes before ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Stir in the milk into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop 8 portions of the dough onto the baking sheet (an ice cream scoop helps here). And bake for 15 - 17 minutes.
Ok now this is exciting!! I was looking up recipes for chicken pot pies a few weeks ago and loved the idea of the biscuits on top but everyone was using those pre bought biscuits, and I just can't. This uses homemade biscuits AND is made in the slow cooker? I am 100% in and saving this recipe for with it isnt 100+ outside 🙂
I'm with you, I love fall for the food. The cozy soups and stews and all the slow cooker and Instant Pot meals that come together so easily. This looks like the kind of dish that would be perfect for a casual fall get-together with friends and board games. Love it.
OH wow. Wow, wow, wow. This is such a fantastic idea. I love chicken pot pies and have made them with my Mom a few times, but I haven't bothered since moving because it always just seems like a hassle. BUT THIS. This version is obviously the answer! Every element is brought to the plate without the tedious job of making pie crusts!
Marisa Franca says
I love our slow cooker and may I say thank you for not making this Insta-Pot. I don't have that appliance and I don't plan on getting one. I don't need any more equipment to store. Now we use the crock pot year round. In the winter the pot makes great comfort food and in the summer it keeps the kitchen cool. What a great idea to make a pot pie in the slow cooker and I bet your biscuits taste amazing.
Talk about dinners I need in my life. I love chicken pot pie, but those garlic cheddar biscuits sound like the absolute perfect pairing to take a classic comfort food dish to the next level. Knowing me, I would make a snack of the extra biscuits while the chicken pot pie is finishing cooking in the slow cooker. 🙂 I'll have to check out the Slow Cook Modern cookbook!
What a great slow cooker recipe and those biscuits look wonderful! I don't think that having extra biscuits would be an issue since we'd eat them up no problem the next night. 🙂 Definitely a perfect use of the slow cooker - it is so great to get dinner going in the morning and have chicken pot pie come out in the evening.
I've been all about my Instant Pot lately but your post made me wish it was fall already and I now want to get my slow cooker out. I just imagined the whole house slowly filling up with the delicious and savoury flavours of this chicken pot pie. Mmmm... Yum! Oh, and the biscuits look amazing. I am pretty sure I wouldn't need to freeze any!
I love chicken pot pie. That is one of the few recipes that I loved as a child and as an adult. My whole family likes it so definitely going to make this, how fun! The slow cooker method is genius BTW!
Ok...so I LOVE my slow cooker....AND chicken pot pie!! This is comfort food at it's best!! I cannot wait to give this delicious recipe a try...and devour it too. I know my family will LOVE it.
This looks delicious.
Can you please elaborate on 2nd line of instructions for slow cooker portion of recipe?
Add the four and the salt, plus pepper to taste. ??
Thank you. Must try this recipe immediately.
I went ahead and fixed it so it is hopefully more clear. It is very tasty, I hope you enjoy!