It’s Friday!! And that means it is the second week of sharing something a little healthier with you and my new friends over at Homegrown and Healthy. Lately, I’ve been on a smoothie kick for breakfast and I’ve been experimenting with all types of smoothies. Because we’re friends, I’ll admit this to you: most of my smoothies end up looking like that grey Polyjuice Potion sludge from Harry Potter. I just… I don’t know. I want to get the most out of my smoothies and end up putting everything I can find in the kitchen into the blender.
It tastes good, but just not very nice to look at.
Lately, I’ve been trying to focus on ingredients that go well together and hush that inner voice that tells me I need to not only eat the rainbow, but drink it as well. And guys… I think I’ve finally got it.
This smoothie is super thick and creamy. I am talking, velvety smooth because of the avocado. It’s sweet, fresh and so satisfying. I love everything about it. Especially that color. Let’s just stop for a moment and admire that beautiful bright green color.
It’s so bright and happy and so am I in the mornings when I have this smoothie along with a piece of seedy whole grain toast and a small drizzle of honey.
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup green grapes
- 1 large apple, deseeded and chopped (any variety)
- 1 avocado chopped and frozen
- 2 tablespoons raw meal powder (optional, but recommended)
- apple juice or water to preferred consistency
- Place all your ingredients in the blender and blend on medium-low for about one minute, or until everything is chopped and just beginning to really blend together. slowly bring up the speed to medium-high. the ingredients should start to really get moving and you will see a "vortex"-like motion when you look inside the blender. (This is the best way to fully blend your smoothie without getting air pockets inside the blender which can impede the blending process, leaving you with chunks of food in your smoothie.) Blend for another three to four minutes.