I was able to find a home for the kitten. One of my friends was happy to take her in and give her a forever home. She named her Kali Ma, isn’t that such a perfect name? Although I am so allergic to her, I kind of miss her. My cat, Midnight, however, is happy to see her gone! As for the dog, she left for a few days, but is back for more training. The cat is okay with being in the same room with her now, but woe onto the dog if she gets too close. Luckily, she is a little scared of the cat, so that hasn’t been a problem.
What is better than the smell of brown butter? I absolutely love that beautiful nutty scent…. Really, I wish I could wear that gorgeous aroma as a perfume. All food should have some brown butter in it. It just makes everything better. I mean, have you tried my brown butter doughnuts with candied pecans? Cause they’re amazing!!! I am having a hard time deciding which I love more, those doughnuts or these cookies.
I made these cookies because I was invited to a Cookie of the Month group where the group of food bloggers all shares a cookie recipe based on a theme or type of cookie. This month was chocolate chip. This brown butter hazelnut chocolate chip cookie was perfect. I love the mix of brown butter and hazelnuts paired with just the right amount of chocolate chips. Normally, I say, the perfect amount of chocolate chips is when it’s about 50% cookie and 50% chocolate, but not this time. You really want the brown butter and hazelnut to shine here. The brown butter and hazelnut really play off one another. The hazelnuts complement the nuttiness of the brown butter, while also lending its own butteriness (is that a word?) to the cookies. The chocolate rounds off the flavors making this cookie something you need in your life. Right now. So stop reading, and get to baking.
Brown Butter Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ⅓ cups ground hazelnut I used Bob’s Red Mill hazelnut meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies
- Add the butter in a small pan and heat on medium until the butter is melted, browns and emits a warm, nutty scent. Place the brown butter in your mixer bowl and chill until it is nearly solidified. It should no longer be liquid, but still pliable. If it is too solid, leave out at room temperature for a few minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- While the butter is chilling, mix together the ground hazelnuts, all-purpose flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla extract. Beat well. Slowly add the flour and mix until just combined. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spoon out tablespoons of the cookies onto your baking sheet and bake for about 8 – 10 minutes or until a nice light, golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Want to see more from the other bloggers participating in this month's Cookie of the Month?