Nothing will warm you up quite like this thick and creamy spiked hot chocolate. Top it with a huge dollop of whipped cream and caramel for a truly decadent treat.
Why you'll love it
This spiked hot chocolate is a deliciously festive drink that will keep you cozy all winter long.
It is thick, creamy, and ultra chocolaty. The warm caramel undertones of the bourbon only enhances how incredible this drink is.
You don't have to limit yourself to bourbon though, you can use any number of liquors or liqueurs to customize your drink to fit your ideal holiday cozy cocktail.
The basis of this spiked hot chocolate starts with the perfect thick and creamy homemade hot chocolate which involves a few key ingredients and then finished with your favorite alcohol. Let's quickly review some of the key ingredients.
- Milk - The key to a good hot chocolate is the kind of milk you use. Milk with a higher fat content makes a better tasting cocoa. You can, however, use a dairy alternative like cashew milk or even water if you want something less decadent.
- Cocoa powder - You can use either natural or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. They both work perfectly.
- Sugar - Granulated and brown sugar both works in this recipe. I like using brown sugar when adding alcohol to my hot cocoa though.
- Chocolate - I recommend using semisweet or a mix of milk and dark chocolate. Just milk chocolate will be too sweet and just dark could be too bitter.
- Cornstarch - This is an optional ingredient to get the drink thick and creamy. You can omit it, but it will leave you with a thinner beverage. Remember it is very important to add the cornstarch to your milk while it is cold to prevent lumps.
- Liquor - You can use a lot of different kinds of alcohol. I highly recommend bourbon. You can also use Baileys, vodka, Kahlua, rum, schnapps, and anything that pairs well with chocolate.
How to make
You can whip up a nice spiked hot chocolate in just minutes.
- Mix together the some of the milk, cornstarch, and cocoa powder in a saucepan and stir well.
- Heat and add the remaining milk. Add in the sugar, salt, and chocolate. Stir well until the chocolate is melted and fully combined.
- Add the vanilla and the alcohol.
Yes! You can multiply the recipe as much as you need if you want to serve a crowd!
You can if you are multiplying the recipe to serve a crowd. Make sure you mix the cornstarch with the milk while it's cold before you turn on the slow cooker. Only add the alcohol to the mugs as you serve them.
Bourbon Spiked Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk cold and divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ oz bourbon
- Add ¼ cup of the milk, cornstarch, and cocoa powder together in a saucepan. Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Heat on medium-high and add the remaining milk, brown sugar, salt, and chocolate. Stir frequently until the mixture is steaming hot and the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla and bourbon.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a mug and top with whipped cream and caramel.
- Serve immediately.
- Use cold milk to prevent the cornstarch from getting lumpy.
- Add the bourbon and vanilla only when you remove the hot chocolate from the heat.
- Top with whipped cream and caramel