Cinnamon roll doughnuts. Two of the best breakfasts come together in delicious. decadent, matrimony. This is the breakfast recipe you go to when you need something memorable.
We finally had our first snow fall yesterday. There is something so peaceful about watching the snow silently fall around you. It makes me want to cozy up in a throw blanket and binge on Harry Potter. I also get cravings for something really indulgent. These cinnamon roll doughnuts are perhaps the most indulgent doughnuts I've ever made in my life.
My cinnamon roll doughnuts are made with my buttery brioche recipe and spread with more melted butter and covered in cinnamon sugar then deep fried to perfection. These delicious morsels are then topped with a cream cheese glaze. It's just like biting in a buttery piece of heaven.
It took some time to get these doughnuts perfect, but I've finally found the best way to fry up these babies. First, only fry one or two doughnuts at once. Second, you have to keep the temperature of the oil at 375 degrees F. When the oil cools down too much, the dough is more likely to open up the swirl. That's not a terrible thing, but the cinnamon sugar escapes and gets into the oil which makes the outside of your doughnuts darker which can make it difficult to know when the doughnuts are really finished )on the upside, the cinnamon sugar caramelies on the doughnuts and tastes pretty yum). For insurance, you can stick a few toothpicks into the doughnuts when you fry them. Just remember to remove them before you glaze and serve them!
These make a great weekend breakfast, or when you are snowed in and want to indulge a bit! You can make the brioche dough ahead of time and let it rise tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Cinnamon Roll Doughnuts
- Brioche Dough
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese softened
- 2 - 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Follow the recipe for the Brioche Dough (
- Roll out the dough after the first rise so that it is about an 18 x 14 rectangle.
- Brush the dough with the unsalted butter. Mix together the sugar and cinnmon and spread evenly on the dough, leaving a ½ inch border around the dough.
- Roll the dough lengthwise into a log. Pinch the edges of the dough and smooth out the log as much as you can. Cut out rounds of dough about an inch thick. Allow the dough to rise as you heat up your oil.
- In a deep fryer, or large cast iron skillet add your oil at least three inches deep. Heat the oil until it reaches 375 degrees F. Place paper towels on a wire rack.
- Place 1 - 2 doughnuts into the oil and cook on each side for 1 - 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on the wire rack.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cream cheese together until well combined. Mix in the heavy cream and vanilla extract until combined and a smooth consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the doughnuts and serve.
Joanie @ Zagleft says
Wow, these look seriously delicious, Amanda! Two of my favorite foods together - YUM!
You took doughnut and made it even better! Love a good cinnamon roll!
WOW!! You made donuts that beat all the other donuts out there!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
These cinnamon-roll-doughnuts are glorious!!!
Oh. My. Goodness. I am dying over these! They look UNREAL!!!
Ridiculous - brioche dough..all the frosting! Can't wait to make these!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
These doughnuts are unreal! It's like the best of both worlds! PInning 🙂
They are truly something memorable. They were gone within hours at my house!
Claudia | The Brick Kitchen says
WOW. I have been making thousands of doughnuts all summer and these STILL make me want to try more - cinnamon roll doughnuts are genius! Especially for winter, so perfect.
Yes! This is perfect comfort food when you are stuck home under piles of snow
Jessica - The Novice Chef says
Holy moly. These are INSANE in the best way possible. LOVE!
Lauren Gaskill | Making Life Sweet says
I'm drooling over here! So good!
Erika @ Love&Custard says
Oh gosh, these are amazing!! I've never even heard of cinnamon roll doughnuts but now I'm not gonna be able to get them out of my head. Love it! I've toyed with the idea of making "proper" (ie fried) doughnuts loads of times but always feel nervous about it for some reason. For doughnuts like these, however, I will have to stop making excuses and get on it!
Frying doughnuts isn't that hard as long as you have a thermometer and something that conducts and sustains heat well. The only downside is that you smell like grease for the rest of the day. Definitely worth it to me though!!
June @ How to Philosophize with Cake says
Omg those sound insane! I'm a big fan of cinnamon rolls, but cinnamon roll DOUGHNUTS? That sounds just divine 🙂
They are the best!! So indulgent but man so worth it!!