There’s nothing better than making a batch of Easy Rice Cereal Treats, especially with these deliciously irresistible customizations. This post has been sponsored by Acme. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love and keeping the lights on in the A Cookie Named Desire kitchen!
Rice cereal treats have always been a favorite treat of mine since I was a kid. When I was living in London for university, I would beg my mom to send over packages of rice cereal treats as often as possible. They have them in England, but they weren’t common and I swore they tasted different.
As an adult, I still love them, but I rarely ever go for the ones in the blue packaging. Instead I like to try different flavors and brands and often make them myself along with my daughter. They’re so much fun to make and are great motivators when we are getting ready for any holiday get-togethers. These easy rice cereal treats are also the perfect addition to cookie platters.
Customizing the treats is probably the simplest thing in the world, and the possibilities are endless. These happen to be the top favorite variations we make in the house. The ingredients are conveniently a part of the Stock Up Sale at Acme, so you can save some money when whipping up a few batches of treats.
Here, we use Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Fruity Pebbles Post Cereal, Cap’N Crunch Cereal, and Green Mountain Coffee K-Cups Dark Magic Blend. While I bought these during the sale at my local Acme, you can also stock up and save at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores including Albertsons, Safeway, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway.
Visit the Acme website to find a store near you and discover some fun meal prep tips and recipe ideas. The products mentioned in this post are on sale at the Albertsons Companies family of stores from 10/12/18 to 10/18/18. Products on sale at United retailers may differ.
With this, you can make all of these treats, plus so many more. And if you ask me, there is nothing better than having stacks of different easy rice crispy treats to choose from!
How to Make Easy Rice Crispy Treats
The formula for making rice cereal treats is incredibly easy. It is simply a mixture of butter, marshmallows, and cereal. You can substitute all or some of the crispy rice cereal with other cereal or add-ins, as long as you keep the right ratio to keep the mixture together. You can also add in extracts or syrups to add more flavor to these tasty treats. Check out the recipe card below for exact instructions.
How to Make Rice Cereal Treats Soft
The softness of your treats rests in two factors: the ratio of cereal to marshmallow/liquid and how you store them. When looking at your ratio, the standard is 6 cups of cereal to 10 oz (one large package) of marshmallows, and 3 tablespoons of butter. You can either increase the marshmallows, or decrease the cereal, but both will also make your treats a little stickier. You can also add a bit more liquid. For example, in our coffee rice cereal treats, we add a few tablespoons of coffee we cook down with sugar to make a coffee syrup. This added liquid keeps the treats very soft, while also still keeping them a nice texture and stable enough to not fall apart.
How to Store Rice Cereal Treats
You should store your treats in airtight containers for the best results. I recommend adding a layer of parchment paper between each bar so they don’t get stuck together over time. We recently started vacuum sealing ours when I make huge batches so they can last as long as possible but this is not necessary.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 10 Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies, lightly crushed
- 3 cups Fruity Pebbles
- 4 cups Cap’N Crunch Cereal
- 1 cup Green Mountain Dark Magic Blend coffee
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- To make a batch of easy rice crispy treats. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Set aside. Melt the butter and marshmallows together in a large pot until the marshmallows are fully melted. Add the crispy rice cereal and mix well. Pour the mixture into your pan and spread into an even layer. Press down well and allow to cool completely – about 1 hour. Cut into squares.
- To make chocolate chip cookie rice cereal treats, fold in the broken cookie pieces at the same time you add the cereal, mix well and pour into your 9 x 13 baking pan.
- To make the Fruity Pebbles rice cereal treats, replace 3 cups of the crispy rice cereal with the Fruity Pebbles and continue making the bars as usual.
- To make the Cap’N Crunch rice cereal bars, omit 1 cup of the crispy rice cereal and add in the Cap’N Crunch Cereal. Make the bars as normal.
- To make the coffee rice cereal bars, first make the coffee, and add to your pot along with the sugar. Cook down until the coffee is cooked down to only about 3 – 4 tablespoons. Add the butter and marshmallows, then continue on making the rice cereal bars as you normally would.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80