I think I may have mentioned my love for all things coconut before and how coconut was my signature everything for a time in college and even a couple of years later. One of my favorite cookies, is my coconut chocolate chip cookie recipe. To-date is one of my more popular cookie posts and with good reason! It is fairly simple to put it together and tastes so good.
In the past, I've had a few people who were disappointed to see that my coconut chocolate chip cookies were not the healthy coconut chocolate chip cookies they were expecting. I can see where that can be confusing when a lot of bloggers are now replacing the less nutrious and calorie-laden compenents of baking with coconut. Well, today, I am here to share a much healthier version of these cookies. Now, I did still use some granulated sugar, but most of the sugar was replaced with the marvelous coconut sugar. I also swapped some of the flour for coconut flour. Annnnnnd, the butter was replaced with coconut oil. The results: a chewy, super coconuty chocolate chip cookie that is much better for you. Disclaimer: this does not mean eating eight of them won't have any reprocussions. Everything in moderation, right? I totally are eight (okay, nine) of them and gave myself a little bit of a tummy ache from inhaling them so fast. So worth it though.
Healthy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2⅓ cup white whole wheat flour I recommend King Arthur Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes lightly toasted
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and corn starch together. Set aside.
- Beat the coconut oil with the toasted coconut, then add in both sugars and beat well. Add in the egg and yolk and beat until incorporated. Mix in the extracts and beat well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips
- Scoop out one tablespoon of dough and create a little ball. I found my cookies did not spread out very much, so you might have to flatten them slightly prior to baking.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.