Light and airy lemon sugar cookie sandwiches filled with cake batter frosting. These lemon sandwich cookies are a bright and fun dessert the kids will adore!
So I decided to make something for my daughter with the cake batter frosting I just shared with you. I didn't really want to make cupcakes, so I made a variation of the lemon sugar cookies I made when I first started my blog and used the frosting to make lemon sandwich cookies. We couldn't be happier with how they turned out!
Is it just me, or is facebook getting too much for you too? I feel like I go in there to see what my friends and family are up to, but all I see are posts about politics and horrible things happening everywhere. If it's not that, then it's nonsense about pseudo-talented celebrity quarrels and how to become a literal mermaid. Okay, I admit, I was kind of interested in that last one. I mean, who didn't want to become Ariel for a day? I want to be a part of her world, for sure.
Seriously though, I think I need a break. But I am not going to be one of "those people" who need to announce their break on facebook oh so dramatically. No, I talk about it in a blog post about lemon sandwich cookies with cake batter frosting like a normal person. 😉
These lemon sandwich cookies are lighter and more fluffy than the original recipe I shared for lemon sugar cookies. They remain nice and puffy, so if you prefer a flatter cookie, I recommend flattening the balls slightly. Instead of a strong hit of lemon, they have a nice light lemon flavor throughout which really complements the cake batter frosting and brightens the whole sandwich cookie. It's optional, but I truly recommend it! These cookies are also really great when you replace the lemon zest with just a couple of drops of almond extract!
To make the lemon sandwich cookies more fun, you can also add sprinkles into the cookie batter. I also recommend experimenting with adding food coloring to the frosting, or adding additional sprinkles to the entire batch of frosting, or just around the edges of the sandwich cookies. You can make these as fun and crazy as your heart desires! Obviously, I like mine a little more plain and keep all the goodness a wonderful surprise once you bite into them.
Lemon Sandwich Cookies with Cake Batter Frosting
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- zest of 2 lemons
- sugar for rolling
- 1 recipe cake batter frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Add in the vanilla and lemon zest and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Roll balls of dough that are 1 ½ tablespoons big and roll in the sugar. Evenly space on the baking sheets. Gently press for less fluffy cookies (if desired).
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or just until the edges start to get color.
- Leave on the baking sheets for about 2 - 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once the cookies are cool, Turn over half the cookies and spread the cake batter frosting on the bottoms of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies.
Wow. Just wow. These are seriously the kind of dessert I see in my dreams! I cannot WAIT to try (several of) these out!
Ashlyn // Dollop Of Yum says
I don't think there's anything more cozy than a sandwich cookie! I loooove how thick these are. This recipe looks so delicious and like the perfect summer treat!
Yes, the puffiness is the best! I wanted it to look like whoopie pies in cookie form! Thanks for stopping by!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
I agree! I like posting recipes like "normal" people 🙂 These treats would be enough to pleasantly distract anyone! I LOVE them, and I love that they're on the puffy side. Fun!
Traci | Vanilla And Bean says
OMGeee Amanda! That cake batter frosting stuffed between two pillows of lemon? Heaven! Go for the sprinkles, GO FOR THE SPRINKLES!! LOL! I'm not on FB much, but when I am, it's constant advertising... so much. IDK - is it worth spending time there? Have a great weekend Amanda!! xo
Oh my goodness, lemon cookies are amazing on their own but when you add cake batter frosting into the mix, it sounds like perfection! Yum!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
What an awesome use of the cake batter frosting! Those lemon cookies look so yummy 🙂 Love the lemon zest and cornstarch in there!