These skinny smokehouse almond chicken wings are perfect for Game Day or anytime you need a delicious appetizer, minus the guilt! This post was sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds, thank you for supporting the brands I love!
Okay, I am going to be completely honest with you…. I don’t get American football. I tried sooo many times to try and understand how it all worked. I thought that when I figured out football (soccer to the rest of America), then I could surely get some understanding of American football, but it hasn’t been the case. It’s like I have a mental block preventing me from comprehending the game. So, like many people I know, I end up going to the game day parties and keeping myself occupied with all the delicious food.
One traditional snack that appears at every party that I cannot get enough of is the wings. Oh my gosh, I can eat a whole platter of wings if you let me. If you’ve got some delicious dipping sauce to go with it – Game. Over. There will be no stopping me from devouring maybe 20 of those delicious babies right away. I can’t think of any food I look forward to more during game day parties than those chicken wings.
Of course, after eating maybe 30 wings, I start to feel guilty because of how many calories I’ve just consumed with the fried chicken and sauce. So, with that being said, I knew I had to make a skinnier chicken wing and dipping sauce so we can eat a few and not feel so bad about it. Especially considering we haven’t even made it to dessert yet! And these skinny smokehouse almond chicken wings are glorious.
I used smokehouse almonds from Blue Diamond because it gives the chicken a subtle bacon-y flavor that I am in love with. Chicken + bacon + garlic sauce = my happy place. I like to call this garlic sauce aioli, but it isn’t really aioli at all because I used a reduced fat sour cream. It tastes exactly the same though!
- 25 chicken wings
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 egg whites + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 (6-ounce) cans smokehouse almonds
- ½ cup panko
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken wings until they are completely dry. Remove the skins if desired (I removed some, but not all of the skin off each wing).
- Get out three bowls. Fill one with the flour, the second with the egg whites and water mixed well. Crush the almonds and panko together in a food processor and place in the third bowl.
- Lightly coat each wing with the flour. Dip each wing in the egg mixture. Coat the wings with the crushed almonds. Gently press the almonds into the chicken to ensure it sticks.
- Place the wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Put all the ingredients for the garlic sauce together in a food processor and blend for 1 - 2 minutes.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. For more Game Changing Snacks, visit Blue Diamond Almonds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram