Chocolate chip cookies get a healthy makeover. These healthy chocolate chip cookies are made with whole wheat flour and no refined sugar, but still tastes incredibly decadent. Indulge in a few with absolutely no guilt!
Nothing makes me happier than knowing what I can do to make someone’s life just a little bit better. Or easier. Or more fun. I jump at the chance to please, especially if I don’t have to guess at what to do. (I hate having to guess.) It’s one of the reasons I love getting suggestions from readers as to what to make and share here on the blog. And when someone has a specific suggestion or request, I immediately start working on it. These healthy chocolate chip cookies are no exception.
These healthy chocolate chip cookies are incredible. they are crisp on the outside and unbelievably chewy on the inside. They are full of flavor and if you don’t say anything, no one would ever know they were better for you than your average chocolate chip cookie. They do have a slight coconut flavor from the coconut sugar when you take them right out of the oven, but it subdues to a nice nutty flavor that complements the almond flour. When these cookies are dipped into an ice cold glass of milk, it basically just melts in your mouth. In a word: it’s perfect.
These healthy chocolate chip cookies are the kind of cookies you can feel good about putting in your kid’s lunch box. Or sneaking just before bed.
- 1¼ cups almond flour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, arrowroot starch, and salt.
- In a mixer, beat together the coconut oil and sugar until well combined. Add in the egg and vanilla extract then beat well.
- Pour in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. The chocolate chips may look like they don't stick to the dough well, that is okay.
- Make balls of cookie dough with about 1½ to 2 tablespoons of cookie dough. Roll into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Place on the baking sheets about two inches apart.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack