An almost healthy birthday cake smoothie that lets you start your birthday right when you wake up. With this easy smoothie recipe, every day can be your birthday!
I am in a serious birthday-celebrating mood right now. You see, my daughter is turning four years old tomorrow. Four years old!!!! I can't believe how big she is getting. I am not prepared for this at all. And soon she will be in school and having homework and the next thing I know she'll she a teenager I'm trying to not get ahead of myself and just enjoy these days while she is young and have fun with these single-digit birthdays while I can.
Her birthday falls the day before Easter, so I've been trying to make sure they don't get lumped together by making sure we don't do anything Easter-related until Easter. Food-wise, I'm making her a birthday cake (vanilla with strawberries per her request - recipe to come next week after I've made the cake). I've also been planning a whole day of birthday celebrating, starting off with a healthy, but delicious birthday cake smoothie to start off the day.
I was inspired to make this birthday cake smoothie after we tried the birthday cake frappucino from Starbucks. I loved the taste, but drinking it, I could tell it was about a thousand calories. I wanted something that tasted just as delicious, but also suitable for a breakfast. This smoothie tastes incredible. I made about 6 of these smoothies already and I'm convinced this is the only thing I need to be drinking for a very long time.
The secret to this smoothie is the pinch of salt, believe it or not. You see, I worked on this smoothie for a while, and the flavors of the butter extract just weren't shining through enough and I kept adding more and more to the mix. Then I remembered that salt helps being out flavors and although it's not normally added to smoothies. I thought I'd give it a try. Well, once I did, the flavors all became more pronounced, including the butter, giving me a full on cake-effect in drink form. Holla!
So, help me wish my not as little, but still super precious kinda little girl a happy birthday and make this birthday cake smoothie asap!
Birthday Cake Smoothie Recipe
P.S. If you are looking for a more indulgent way to celebrate your [un]birthday, check out my cake batter milkshake!
Birthday Cake Smoothie
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 large banana sliced and frozen
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon butter extract
- pinch of salt
- sprinkles optional
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender in the order they are listed, except for the sprinkles.
- Blend on low to break up the frozen banana. Slowly bring up the speed to medium, you should see a swirl going down toward the middle of the mixture (aka a vortex). Blend for at least a minute longer before bringing the blender to high and blending for another 25 - 30 seconds.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with sprinkles if desired.