A refreshing summery blackberry pomegranate sorbet that is perfect for those hot summer nights when you need to cool down.
If it isn’t obvious, I’m craving all things sweet and cold lately. To be honest, I’m also in a bit of a lazy mood lately because I just have not wanted to make anything that takes too much time or too many ingredients. I definitely don’t see that as a bad thing because that means less time in the kitchen and more time doing other things that are more important, such as spending time with friends and family; preferably sharing this blackberry pomegranate sorbet.
The weather is getting so hot where I am. Most days the weather is around 70 – 85 degrees! In fact, just the other day it reached 89 degrees. It makes for wonderful adventures outside and around town. After having such a great time with my friends a couple of weeks ago, I am eager to have another girl’s night, especially with this weather.
I made this blackberry pomegranate sorbet to pair with a few bottles of Ribera y Rueda wines I have. It is so light and refreshing and goes well with both the red and white wine from this Spanish vineyard. I added a splash of wine to the sorbet to help keep it soft and very easy to scoop, but you can easily omit it if you are serving this to children. My favorite way to eat the sorbet is with an extra splash of wine in my bowl of sorbet. The bold flavors of the red Ribera del Duero really accentuates the flavors of the pomegranate and blackberry. Meanwhile, the white Rueda Verdejos helps to brighten the fruity flavors. So whichever wine you decide to drink with the sorbet will work!
Here is some fun information about Ribera y Rueda:
For 2,000+ years, winemakers from Ribera and Rueda – located in northwest Spain and only about an hour away from Madrid – have cultivated what’s new and what’s next in every vineyard and vintage they produce:
- Rueda Verdejos (white grape varietal) are bright, crisp and creative
- Ribera del Duero Tempranillos (red grape varietal) are bold, rugged and ripe
What I love most about this wine is that the Ribera y Rueda wines are all about popping open a bottle for an outdoor soirée, a night on the couch or an unexpected food pairing.
Blackberry Pomegranate Sorbet Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cups water
- 18 oz blackberries
- 1 ½ cups pomegranate juice
- Splash of wine (optional)
- Prepare your ice cream maker if needed. Some models require the container to be frozen for at least 24 hours ahead. Check your manufacturer instructions. *You can make this recipe without an ice cream maker; please refer to the notes below to find out how.
- Pour the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat on medium-high until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil. Simmer for about another 3 – 5 minutes, or until the mixture looks somewhat syrupy. Set aside to cool down.
- Add the blackberries, pomegranate juice, and cooled simple syrup in a blender and blend on low until the blackberries are completely blended. Strain to remove any seeds.
- Pour the mixture into a container and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably until the mixture reaches about 40 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture, plus a splash of wine into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer instructions. Pour the churned mixture into a container and freeze until solid – at least 3 – 4 hours.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.