Once you try brown butter rice krispie treats, you will never want them any other way! The nutty browned butter gives these nostalgic bars an incredible depth of flavor.
It's pretty much common knowledge that brown butter makes basically everything better. The nutty, almost caramel flavor elevates everything it touches. Rice krispie treats are no exception. In fact, this is one of my favorite ways to have my brown butter.
How Do I Make Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Making rice krispie treats with brown butter is incredibly simple. It is a matter of making regular rice krispie treats.... but browning the butter first.
- Add your butter for a large saucepan or pot.
- Heat on medium-high heat until the butter smells nutty and aromatic. (For more information on how to make brown butter, I got you covered)
- Add marshmallows, then mix until they've melted.
- Stir in the cereal.
The only difference here is that it does take a little more time to make because you have to brown the butter. Luckily, it takes only a few minutes to brown your butter.
How to Make Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats are more or less foolproof, but there are things you can do to make sure you get the best treats every single time.
- Don't wait until all the marshmallows are melted before adding in your cereal. The blobs of unmelted marshmallow add really delicious pockets of marshmallow which are so good, especially if you love marshmallows.
- Don't press down too hard when you are adding your treats to a pan. Gently press them to prevent crushing the cereal too much. That way you don't end up with super dense squares and instead get fluffy bars of brown butter rice krispie treats.
- Use the butter wrapper to press down on your cereal. It keeps your hands clean and the grease from the butter on the wrapper keeps the cereal from sticking everywhere.
- Use a bench scraper (I love this one) for the best cuts to get perfect squares. I also recommend trimming the edges (save those for yourself for being such an awesome baker).
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats with Golden Grahams
Did you know you can take your treats to a whole new level by adding things like Golden Grahams and chocolate chips to make a brown butter s'mores rice krispie treat?! Cue the drool emoji.
I also like to enhance my treats sometimes by adding a drizzle of brown butter glaze. You can make one by stirring brown butter, powdered sugar, and a touch of milk or water together until is it just thin enough to drizzle from a spoon.
Don't have time to make these melt in your mouth brown butter rice Krispy treats now? Pin them for later!
If you want more rice krispie treats, try my peanut butter and jelly rice krispie treats and my pumpkin rice krispie treats! My Oreo rice krispie treats are a family favorite. If you want more inspiration, check out my rice krispie treats four ways!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup 115 g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 8 cups 200 g rice krispies
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper. You can use a larger pan if you prefer smaller treats.
- Heat the butter over medium heat until it starts to brown and give a light nutty scent. Remove from heat immediately to prevent the butter from burning.
- Add the vanilla and salt to the butter and mix.
- Add the marshmallows and mix until they are mostly melted. The heat of the pot and the butter should be enough to melt the marshmallows. If not, put the pot back on the burner and put the heat on low until the marshmallows melt.
- Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into the pan and pat down until flat. Allow to cool - about 1 - 2 hours. Cut into squares