No one will believe this easy chicken enchilada soup was finished in under 30 minutes! It is rich, full of flavor, and bound to be your new favorite weeknight dinner recipe.
This post is a sponsored conversation with ConAgra Foods. As always, all thoughts an opinions are entirely my own! Thank you for supporting the brands I love and keeping the oven on in the Cookie Named Desire kitchen!
I love soup. I think I told you the story about how I basically became "Soup Girl" at one of my old jobs because I brought soup in for lunch almost every day. Soup is my ultimate comfort food which is why I love to make lots of it during the winter season. There is nothing like eating a big bowl of soup while I binge on my favorite TV shows (we just had a Big Bang Theory marathon last night!) with my family and friends. I wouldn't want to spend my nights any other way.
Remember on Wednesday I told you about our impromptu Walking Dead parties? Well this was on the menu last week along with the brown butter pecan madeleines. I love chicken enchiladas and yesterday I shared my recipe for homemade chicken enchilada sauce and why chicken enchiladas are so special for me. I don't make actual enchiladas very often, but I love to make it in different forms like breakfast burritos and this chicken enchilada soup.
I love how incredible hearty this chicken enchilada soup is and the flavor is incredible! In the recipe I use masa harina. It's a finely ground corn flour that is typically used in making corn tortillas. You can find this at pretty much every grocery store in either the flour section or international aisle. It's what gives the soup its authentic enchilada flavor. I also used RO*TEL diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro for added flavor. (And in case you were wonering, I used Hunt's tomato paste in my enchilada sauce, it's the best tomato paste!)
You can top your soup with anything! I prefer crushed tortillas, lots of cheese, and sliced avocado. So delicious!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- ½ cup masa harina*
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups homemade enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can RO*TEL diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime with juice
- ⅔ lbs chicken breast diced
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil on medium high. Add the onion and garlic and heat until fragrant and translucent. Add the flour and heat for about another minute.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock, whisking the mixture as you go to prevent lumps. Add the enchilada sauce, black beans, and diced tomatoes and cook until it reaches a simmer.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add a squeeze of lime to your bowl of soup and top with chopped cilantro, cheese, tortilla chips, and avocado.
ConAgra Foods products can be found in 99 percent of American households, and include many iconic brands such as Hunt’s Hebrew National, Swiss Miss, Manwich, PAM Cooking Spray and many more. Whether on their own or as a part of a delicious recipe, ConAgra Foods brands are perfect for nearly any eating or entertaining occasion.
Susan - ofeverymoment says
This soup sounds like a perfect weeknight meal - and your photos are gorgeous. I'm off to check out the homemade enchilada sauce recipe, and just added masa harina to my shopping list, so I can make this. Thanks!
You are going to love it! It is so good, I even had it for breakfast topped with an egg!
Cathleen @ A Taste Of Madness says
This soup sounds delicious! I would love to try this!