The best part of the cheesecake is the crust. Learn how to make a delicious foolproof Oreo cheesecake crust for your favorite cheesecake.
Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I can easily have a slice of cheesecake every day for dessert and never get bored. The best part is always that buttery crust.
When I want to switch things up from the classic graham cracker crust is to reach for Oreos. Now there are so many flavor varieties for Oreos, it gives even more opportunity to up the flavor in your cheesecake! The best part is you use the same ratios no matter what Oreo flavor you use. You can even mix and match.
Can you bake an Oreo crust?
Most Oreo crust recipes are paired with recipes that don’t require baking. Instead, they chill the crust and the filling to allow it to set. You can bake your Oreo cheesecake crust though! It bakes up well just like a graham cracker crust would, and is still 1000x more delicious.
You only need a couple of ingredients to make an Oreo cheesecake crust.
- Oreos – This is the main ingredient. You can use any flavor of Oreo, and yes, other similar sandwich cookies count, too! Get creative with flavors, and even try mixing and matching. The only Oreos you need to stay away from are the double and mega stuffed versions. The extra filling does not work with this recipe.
- Butter – This helps to add flavor, and turn the Oreos into something you can press together to create a beautiful crust.
- Salt (sometimes) – Salt is an optional ingredient that is only really necessary sometimes, depending on the flavor of the cookie you are using. The sweeter flavor varieties would benefit from a pinch of salt to temper down the sweetness while still allowing the actual flavors to shine through.
How to make the crust
Making the crust is easy, and why I sometimes like to include it as a topping for other desserts when I am feeling a little extra.
- Crush your Oreos (yes, the filling goes in too!).
- Melt your butter.
- Mix together the crushed Oreos and melted butter.
- Press into the sides and bottom of your pan.
Tips for success
While this is probably one of the easiest recipes you could ever make, there are a couple of tips you can use to make sure there are never any issues.
- Only use Oreos with the regular amount of filling. Never use double, mega, or any other extra stuffed type of Oreo. All other flavors are fair game.
- Leave the filling in the cookies. The moisture from the filling helps the butter to stick the cookies together to form a nice crust.
- Use your hands or a greased cup to press in the crust. Personally, I prefer to use my hands for the best control.
- You can use this recipe for a baked or no-bake dessert. For a no-bake dessert, chill the crust for at least 5 minutes before you add your filling. For baked desserts, follow the instructions for the recipe.
Recipes you may like
You will need to check out my no-bake Oreo cheesecake! Try adding an oreo cheesecake crust to this lemon meringue cheesecake or my birthday cheesecake! If you just need more Oreo in your life, you will adore these Oreo brownies and this Oreo fudge. If you want to work on your basic recipe skills, try this shortbread crust and my vanilla pastry cream.
- 25 Oreos
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Add your Oreos to a food processor and pulse about 5 - 7 times, or until they form large crumbs.
- Run the food processor and drizzle in the melted butter. Add a pinch of salt, if needed. (see notes on salt).
- Pour the crumbs into your cheesecake pan.
- Press the crumbs into the sides of the pan first, then into the edges and bottom of the pan.
You should add a pinch of salt if you are using Oreo flavors that are very sweet, like the birthday cake flavor. This will enhance the flavor, while subduing the sweetness just a little.
Pressing the crumbs into the sides first ensures you get an even and sturdy crust all around as opposed to accidentally using most of your crust on the bottom and having just a little for the sides.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g