I’ve been obsessing over blueberries lately. If you look at all my recipe ideas, you will see about half of them feature blueberries. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve had a special fondness for blueberries. When I was about 6 or 7 years old, my best friend, who was also my neighbor, introduced me to what she called “blueberry cereal,” which was basically a bowl of blueberries with sweetned milk. I would beg my mother to buy blueberries whenever she went shopping so I could have blueberry cereal every chance I could get.
I don’t know how long this blueberry cereal craze went, or what made me stop eating it, but blueberries always have a special place in my heart.
One of the best flavor pairings for blueberries is lavender (at least in my opinion), which I think was another reason I’ve been obsessing over this beautiful little berry. I need to bake with more lavender!! This blueberry lavender galette was meant to be and let me tell you, it was such a delicious idea. Words cannot possibly express how freaking delicious this galette is. I mean, the blueberry and lavender come together so beautifully and are perfectly balanced and brightened with the lemon zest and oh my gosh, I ate maybe an entire blueberry lavender galette within the span of 24 hours (I made four of them to make sure the recipe was just right…. I have such a hard job!) and I still crave more.
I turned this into two smaller galettes, but you can easily make it into one larger galette or even divide it into four smaller ones. You know, so you can more easily keep one all to yourself.
- Galette dough
- 4 cups blueberries (frozen okay as long as you thaw)
- zest two lemons
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons dried lavender
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespon milk)
- turbinado sugar
- Make the galette as per the instructions. Chill for at least one hour. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the blueberries, lemon zest, salt, vanilla, sugar, flour, and lavender together. Set aside.
- Divide the galette dough into two balls. Flatten and roll out into circles that are ¼ inch in thickness. Place one of the galette discs onto the baking sheet. Place half the blueberry mixture onto the disc, spreading out the blueberries out in an even layer, leaving a one-inch border along the dough.
- Fold the border onto the blueberries, folding the dough onto itself as necessary. Place the second disc onto the baking sheet and add the blueberries and fold as before.
- Brush the egg wash onto the folded over dough and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the dough is a nice golden brown and the juices of the blueberries are bubbling.
- Allow the galette to cool completely before serving.