Nothing beats relaxing and refreshing with a glass of fruity blueberry lemonade on a hot summer day! This easy lemonade recipe will be a family favorite!
Why you'll love it
The sweet/tart combination is so refreshing and dynamic. This blueberry lemonade is sure to be a favorite! It's a delicious way to celebrate those summer flavors and cool down at the same time.
- Blueberries - You can use fresh or frozen. They both work. If you want to get all fancy, you can also add in a few other types of fruit in with your blueberries. Cherries or blackberries would be amazing!
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar. I've heard of people using brown sugar to give the lemonade a slight pie-like flavor. You can also use honey or maple syrup, but know that it will change the overall flavor of the lemonade.
- Lemons - Only use fresh lemons in your lemonade. Bottled lemons will never give you the exact refreshing flavor you want in your lemonade.
- Water - The water is used to dilute the lemons so your lemonade isn't too tart. It also helps make the syrup.
- Vanilla extract (optional) - This is totally optional, but I love the flavor that vanilla adds to the lemonade. It adds more dimension.
How to make
Making this lemonade is so easy, making it perfect to have around all summer long.
- Make the blueberry syrup and allow it to cool.
- Squeeze the lemon juice. Stir with water
- Add blueberry syrup to the lemon and water until you get the desired sweetness.
There are ways to customize your blueberry lemonade to make it even more fun to enjoy.
- Add mint to your blueberries when making the syrup.
- Use sparkling water instead of still.
- Add in other berries into your blueberry syrup.
- Experiment with using pink lemons, meyer lemons, or even add in a little lime juice!
There are some great healthful properties in both blueberries and lemonade, especially when you make them at home, but I would not call it a health food.
You can use maple syrup, agave, or honey in place of the sugar, but they will alter the taste of the final drink.
While the bottles of lemon juice you find in the lemon-shaped bottles are made of real lemons, they have a distinct after taste that I think would affect the final flavor. I recommend sticking to fresh lemons
There's so many amazing lemonade recipes you need to try! This blackberry lemonade is divine, so is this peach mango lemonade, passion fruit lemonade, and this rhubarb grapefruit lemonade. For a fun twist, try this kiwi mango lemonade popsicles.
- 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cups cold water
- 1 cup blueberry syrup or to taste
- Make the blueberry syrup. Add the blueberries, sugar, and water together.
- Bring to a boil and mash the blueberries.
- Cook until the mixture thickens to a syrup.
- Strain the blueberry bits out. Allow to cool.
- Make the lemonade. Juice the lemons.
- Stir together the lemon juice and water.
- Drizzle in the blueberry juice to sweeten to your liking.
- Chill and enjoy cold!