Cool down on a long, hot day with a fun and fruity blackberry lemonade! This easy recipe is a fun way to use those freshly picked blackberries!
There are only a few ingredients you need to make the best blackberry lemonade ever. And chances are, you will have them available already!
- Lemons - You can't have lemonade without lemons! You can due pretty much any type of lemon you have around. I prefer to use pink lemons or Meyer lemons, but any type will work. I recommend investing in a nice citrus juicer like this.
- Water -We use the water t0 dilute the lemons and make the blackberry syrup.
- Granulated Sugar - Sugar is needed to add sweetness to balance the tartness of the lemons.
- Blackberries - This is blackberry lemonade after all. I love using fresh blackberries, but you can honestly use frozen if you want!
- Vanilla (optional) - You don't need to add vanilla to your lemonade. I like it because it rounds out the sweetness and makes the lemonade taste a little like a blackberry pie lemonade.
How to make blackberry lemonade
Honestly, making your own blackberry lemonade is so easy, it is hard to pass up making it regularly. It is such a great way to relax and refresh yourself!
- All you need to do is mix together blackberries, sugar, and some water together. Heat, and lightly mash the blackberries.
- Cook until the liquid thickens to a syrup consistency. Strain out the blackberries and allow the syrup to cool. Stir in the vanilla, if desired.
- Squeeze the lemons, and add water.
- Add blackberry syrup until the lemonade reaches your desired sweetness!
Spiking your lemonade
During the hottest days, sometimes it is tempting to spike your lemonade. Here are a few ways I think you may enjoy!
- White rum
- Blackberry whiskey
- Blackberry-infused vodka
- Lemon-infused vodka
I usually make a big batch of the lemonade without the syrup, and allow everyone to make their lemonade as sweet as they like it. I will keep the lemonade in a pitcher and the blackberry syrup in an airtight jar or container. Both will be fine in the refrigerator for several weeks.
You can also choose to mix the blackberry syrup in right at once to your preference.
I also recommend trying to mix some of the lemonade and syrup together to make ice cubes so your drink does not get diluted down by regular ice cubes.
Other recipes you may like
If you are in love with lemonade, you must try this blueberry lemonade or passion fruit lemonade. These mango kiwi lemonade popsicles really hit the spot on a hot day! This peach mango lemonade is a personal favorite! This rhubarb grapefruit lemonade is a family favorite.
- 2 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 - 1 cup blackberry syrup
- Start with the blackberry syrup. Mix together the ingredients for the syrup, except for the vanilla, into a saucepan.
- Heat on medium-high heat and mash the blackberries. Cook until the liquid thickens to a syrup.
- Strain out the blackberry bits, and allow the syrup to cool.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Start on the lemonade. Squeeze the lemons, making sure to remove any seeds.
- Mix the water and lemon juice together.
- In your pitcher, or in your glass, add blackberry syrup to reach your preferred sweetness.
Only use freshly squeezed lemon juice. I recommend investing in a nice juicer. I recommend leaving the whole lemons in hot water for 10 minutes, then gently rolling on your countertop before you juice them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 cups Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g