Sweet with a slight tart hint, this passion fruit lemonade will be the best drink you have this summer. Perfect for those dog days of summer.
My local produce store doesn’t get a lot of my favorite fruits often. So I take advantage as often as I can when I am able to stumble across something good. Something like their annual passion fruit stocking.
I missed it the past couple of years, but I was lucky this year and sold them out completely. They aren’t cheap, but they are seriously worth it.
The last time I had passion fruit was when I made the passion fruit mojito. I also made a no bake cheesecake then and spread it along the top, and while I took photos, they weren’t any good so they never made it to the site.
I love celebrating the delicate tart flavor of passion fruit, so I usually like to have them in their raw state like on the cheesecake or in a drink.
So I decided to make this passion fruit lemonade as a way to fully enjoy the passion fruit. Next time, I am thinking I might try and make a passion fruit creme brulee. What do you think?
If you want to make this passion fruit lemonade, but don’t have access to fresh passion fruit, you can always use passion fruit puree which is found in specialty stores or online… or you can use passion fruit juice. Most passion fruit juices are mixed with other fruit and sweetened, so you will need to reduce the amount of sugar in the lemonade to account for that.
The lemonade will also lose some of that balance of sweet/tart of the fresh passion fruit, but it will still be pretty darn amazing. Plus if you are serving it to kids, they may prefer less tart….and the fact there aren’t any passion fruit seeds in their lemonade!
Passion fruit lemonade has to be on your to-make list this summer, no matter what method you decide to use. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 - 6 lemons)
- 3/4 cup fresh passion fruit (about 8 passion fruit)
- 4 - 5 cups cold water
- 3/4 - 1 cup simple syrup
- Make the simple syrup by adding the granulated sugar and water together in a small saucepan. Heat on medium high just until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool down.
- Juice your lemons, discarding the seeds. Stir in the passion fruit.
- Add the water and the simple syrup. Stir in as much of the water and simple syrup as desired to reach your preferred level of sweetness and tartness.
- Chill until ready to serve. The passion fruit seeds will sink, so give it a good stir before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 cups Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g