Seriously chocolaty granola with an irresistible touch of coconut. You are going to want to make this chocolate coconut granola every week and put it on all the things. Trust me!
My daughter eats yogurt about two or three times a day. Sometimes she has it with a bit of honey and vanilla, but more often than not, she wants a healthy amount of granola mixed in. Granola is one of those things that are needlessly pricey and make me want to make it at home, just like how I make yogurt at home. Lately, I’ve been making batch after batch of this chocolate coconut granola.
I’m not trying to act like I am this perfect mom who makes all her own stuff at home, because trust me. I am probably the least perfect person, let alone mom ever. I just want to let you know that I do it because it is so easy. There really isn’t much to making granola. It’s just a bit of mixing and stirring and a bit of heat. Granola is just one of those things anyone can make and have it come out amazingly. The perfect recipe for those people who say they don’t have any type of baking skills whatsoever.
And if you are going to start making granola, I can’t recommend this chocolate coconut granola as your first enough. It is rich with an incredible combination of chocolate and coconut. I don’t know what it is about chocolate and coconut together, but the complete each other in a way that makes your taste buds dance and your hands immediately to grab another handful of crunchy, clustery chocolate coconut granola.
It. Is. Everything.
I’ve been using this granola on top of my yogurt, putting it in my ice cream, and just eating it plain by the cup. What’s great it that it is -mostly- healthy. Not too healthy though, cause I mean, we’re all about the sweets and desserts around here, let’s be honest. But it is good enough that you won’t feel bad having a few handfuls of chocolate coconut granola each time you go into the kitchen.
Chocolate Coconut Granola
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cups cocoa powder natural or Dutch cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract optional, but recommended
- ⅔ cups chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, cocoa powder, and salt together.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the sugar, oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and coconut extract,
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until the oats are completely coated.
- Pour the oats onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and bake for two 10-minute increments. Stir between each interval.
- Bake for another 5 minutes and add about ⅓ of the chocolate (not ⅓ cup) to the granola give it one last quick stir to incorporate the chocolate.
- Turn off the oven and leave the granola in the oven with the door cracked for about 45 minutes. Take out and allow to cool completely without stirring so you get large cluster. Once cool, add the remaining chocolate chunks.