A fun and tropical passion fruit mojito perfect for summer parties and BBQs! This simple cocktail recipe will be a new summer favorite!
I think I’ve mentioned how I have a love/hate relationship with my local produce store, right? I love them because they always stock a lot of variety and a ton of tropical fruits and veggies I can’t find anywhere else. I hate them because a lot of their regular produce is either weeks from being ripe or on the verge of being overripe. Well, when I stopped by the other day, I saw they had passion fruit!! I haven’t had fresh passion fruit in years so I was so excited to get some. I ended up getting a bag of about 30 passion fruit and spent a fortune for it, but it was oh so worth it.
I try to use ingredients that you find at most store, but sometimes I run into produce that gets me so excited I need to whip up something like my detox cactus smoothie. So that is why I am sharing this passion fruit mojito with you today – and probably something with passion fruit later in the week. Basically, I plan on making a lot of passion fruit recipes until I run out.
Mojitos are my favorite summer cocktail. Which is kind of weird for me to say because I never really thought I had a favorite cocktail. I usually go for red wine, but lately, I’ve been more into discovering new cocktails and building a mini bar. I even bought a few bitters and am making some of my own at home! I love the mix of mint and lime together because it is so refreshing, and now this passion fruit mojito adds this amazing tropical fruitiness that makes this such a pleasure to sip on.
It’s been mostly cloudy and rainy where I am. Sometimes I look out longingly at the window wondering if I will ever see the sun again. I know I will, but it just seems like an impossibility right now. This mojito helps me bring a bit of warm weather to my home while I slather on coconut oil and wear my bathing suit inside pretending its out out. And no, I’m not ashamed to admit that. You know you do it too.
Passion Fruit Mojito Recipe
- 8 passion fruit
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 oz light rum
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (fresh)
- 4 - 5 ice cubes, plus more for glass
- Club soda
- Cut open the passion fruit and push through a fine mesh strainer to catch all the juice, press hard against the passion fruit to also catch the pulp. Get as much juice and pulp from the passion fruit as possible. Reserve the seeds. Set the juice aside.
- In a cocktail mixer, muddle the mint and the sugar together to help release the oils from the mint. Add the rum, lime juice, and ice, then shake vigorously.
- Add ice to your glass (preferably a high ball, but not required) and divide the mixture among the glasses. Top with a splash or two of club soda and stir in the passion fruit juice/pulp. Top with mint and passion fruit seeds for garnish (can eat passion fruit seeds)