Pssst! You are going to want to read to the end of this post…. trust me!
For the longest time, I was a die-hard traditionalist when it came to pot pies. It had to be chicken with a nice thick creamy gravy and tons of peas and carrots. It was also one of my favorite meals. I would choose to eat that over a nice cheesy slice of pizza. I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true! It wasn’t until later that I realized there was more to pot pie than chicken. Then my mind was completely blown when I discovered the world of sweet pot pies. Seriously, I about died. You mean I can have pot pie for dinner AND dessert?? What?! That’s double the deliciously flaky crust. I. Am. In.
Last month I was a horrible blogger and did not do any recipes that were really “Halloween-y” (hehe, “weeny”) I am not doing it for Thanksgiving! We aren’t doing a big Thanksgiving since half my family is working that day, so I am going to have a mini Thanksgiving with you.
My cranberry apple pot pies are the perfect teaser dessert (because, let’s be serious here, there is no way we are going to settle on just one dessert on Thanksgiving!) . They are lightly sweetened and have a wonderful autumn/wintery aroma to them. Seriously, opening my oven was like opening up the door to winter…. a very warm, but incredibly good smelling winter.
Now, let’s take a second to go over how amazing the combination of warm spices, apples, and cranberries is, especially when paired with a seriously flaky puff pastry top. Why do we not use puff pastry for everything? We all need more of that buttery goodness in our lives. (Please note, that is also why I love an all-butter pie crust – it has an almost puff pastry quality to it.)
There is nothing here to not love, really.
And also, because this is the time for giving, I am throwing a little giveaway for you! I love my subscription boxes, and one of my favorites is Orange Glad because they deliver delicious desserts to you each month from companies you probably haven’t heard of. This giveaway isn’t associated with Orange Glad in any way, I simply love their company and want you to try them, too! You can enter the giveaway below!
- 3 large apples (any will work, I used a mix of Fuji and Granny Smith)
- 2½ cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 4 oz brie (optional)
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, plus 1 tablespoon water
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and roughly chop the apples (I always leave the skins on, but feel free to remove them prior to chopping) .
- Toss together the apples, cranberries, lemon juice, sugar and spices together in a large bowl. Fold in butter and cheese.
- Fill individual bowls (I used large ramekins) with the mixture, it should pile up higher than what the bowl is since the fruit will break down and shrink as it cooks. You can also use a 9 inch pie pan if desired.
- Cut out squares a little larger than the diameter of the bowls you are using and place them over the filling. Push the edges down on the lip of the bowl. For the corners, I just folded them in before pressing the edges down.
- Mix together the egg and water in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the puff pastry with the egg wash. Top with the turbinado sugar. Cut a small slit on the tops of the pastry.
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes for the individual bowls (about 40 - 45 minutes for a pie pan), or until the pastry is a nice golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 40 minutes before serving.
a Rafflecopter giveaway