Thick and creamy Nutella hot chocolate is the chocolate hazelnut drink of your dreams. This super indulgent hot chocolate is so simple to make and will become an immediate hit in your home.
Thick, creamy Nutella hot chocolate is the perfect way to enjoy a cold winter day. It is the easiest hot chocolate recipe to make.
It only requires a few minutes and a few ingredients. Chances are, you have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now. If not, I have a couple of suggestions in case the milk went bad.
How Do You Make Nutella Hot Chocolate?
This hot chocolate might be the easiest hot chocolate you will ever make. It is just a matter of melting Nutella and chocolate in milk.
- Add Nutella, chocolate, and a splash of milk to a saucepan.
- Heat until the chocolate is melted, then slowly drizzle in the remaining milk.
- Add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Top as desired, and enjoy!
How to Make This Hot Chocolate Without Milk
The milk is a very important part of the recipe, but if you don't have any and are craving a mug of Nutella hot chocolate anyway, here are a few ideas.
- Try replacing the milk with coffee creamer or heavy whipping cream.
- Evaporated milk and a splash of water may also work.
- You can try sweetened condensed milk and water, but the hot chocolate will be very sweet and you may need another pinch of salt to help.
- Alternative milk also works. I love using cashew milk.
This particular recipe does not work with replacing the milk with plain water.
What Do You Need to Make Nutella Hot Chocolate
The best part about this Nutella hot chocolate is how quick and easy it is to put together. The hot chocolate itself is only three main ingredients.
I do add a small pinch of salt and vanilla to add more depth to the hot chocolate, but that's just me.
But because I am sometimes a little extra, I also made some whipped cream and topped the hot chocolate with chopped hazelnuts and toasted marshmallows. Totally optional, but I do think the airy whipped cream contrasts wonderfully with the rich flavor of the Nutella hot chocolate.
What is your favorite hot chocolate you've ever had?
Looking for More Hot Chocolate?
The tiramisu hot chocolate is so good, but the Black Forest hot chocolate miiiiight be my favorite. The chai hot chocolate is just so good though. On the other hand, nothing warms me up like the spicy hot chocolate. While you're at it, please go check out my bourbon spiked hot chocolate or settle in with a hot chocolate mug cake (which, by the way, makes an incredible edible gift)!
If you want more Nutella deliciousness, try this Nutella fudge and these Nutella-stuffed sugar cookies.
In fact, no one says you can't just settle with one hot chocolate recipe... why not have a little hot chocolate movie night and try out a couple of recipes with someone while watching a movie?
Nutella Hot Chocolate
- 3 ½ tablespoons Nutella
- 1 ½ oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- pinch of salt optional, but recommended
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional, but recommended
- Add the Nutella, chocolate, and ¼ cup of the milk in the saucepan.
- Heat until the chocolate until melted and the ingredients are well-combined. Continue to heat and slowly stir in the remaining milk.
- Add in the salt and the vanilla if you are using them and stir until well-combined.
- Serve hot in your favorite mugs. Add in any of your favorite toppings.
Oh,yes! this sounds amazing!
I don't see anything for not to like this recipe. Hot chocolate and Nutella are the match made in heaven indeed.
Jessica Formicola says
You had me at Nutella! I love hot chocolate, and I can't wait to try this Nutella version!
I'll never go back to store-bought hot cocoa packets! Homemade hot chocolate is just the best ever, and woah the nutella in this is such an awesome idea!!
I have never had nutella but this makes mw ant to try it! Looks amazing!
I can't think of a better way to introduce you to nutella than this hot chocolate!