A delicious vanilla mug cake that is finished and ready to eat in minutes. This easy mug cake recipe is the perfect solution to those late night cake cravings. Perfect for when you want a single serving vanilla cake in your life!
There are times in everyone’s life when a sudden craving for cake arises. You know the one… you’re up watching the latest show on Netflix and a thought creeps into your head “Some cake would really hit the spot right about now.” Suddenly, the thought overtakes you until you can only think about cake. Making a whole cake is kind of ridiculous right now, and you don’t want to have to put on pants to go to the store.
Luckily….. luckily, vanilla mug cakes are totally a thing.
Now with an easy mug cake recipe like this one, you get back to your show with some cake after only a few minutes.
All the ingredients are things you probably already have in the kitchen. And you don’t even need eggs to make this fluffy vanilla cake in a mug. Pro tip: keep some vanilla frosting around. We always have some in the fridge and in the freezer for emergencies like this.
What is Vanilla Mug Cake?
Believe it or not, but you can make a single serving of cake in a regular microwave-safe coffee or tea mug. The ingredients get mixed in the mug, then microwaved until cooked through. It means you can have cake done in minutes. The best part is that since you aren’t frosting it like a layer cake you can eat the vanilla mug cake while it is still warm. I love adding frosting, whipped cream, or ice cream on my warm vanilla cake in a mug so it melts and covers all the cake.
What do I Need to Make Vanilla Mug Cake?
You only need a few ingredients, a mug, and a microwave.
The ingredients are pantry staples like butter, milk, sugar, flour, and vanilla. We also use some baking powder for fluffiness, plus if you want, you can add some cornstarch to give the cake an even better texture.
Almost any microwave-safe mug that is at least 10 ounces will work. Anything smaller might leave you with cake all over your microwave. I use the large mugs from the Hearth and Hand Magnolia collection at Target. It can hold double the recipe without spilling over, making it perfect for bigger appetites! If you are looking for something really cute, I adore these mugs.
How do I Make Vanilla Mug Cake?
The steps are crazy simple for making your vanilla cake in a mug.
- Melt your butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Mix in the flour, cornstarch (if using), baking powder, and salt.
- Cook in the microwave for 60 – 90 seconds, or until the sides are set at the top looks slightly moist.
- Remove and allow to rest for a minute. Top with your favorite toppings.
How to Make Vanilla Mug Cake Without…..
Butter: You can substitute the butter in this easy mug cake recipe with a neutral-flavored oil, butter-flavored Crisco, or margarine. If you use margarine, and it is on the saltier side, omit the salt in the recipe.
Baking Powder: You can replace the baking powder with baking soda using a 1:1 ratio. You can also omit the baking powder completely, but the cake will be more dense.
Eggs: You’re in luck! This recipe does not need eggs!
Milk: You can use a milk alternative like cashew milk or oat milk. You can also get creative and use heavy cream, coffee creamer, or thinning out a bit of yogurt or sour cream with a touch of water.
Flour: There isn’t much you can use to replace the flour, unfortunately. You can use a gluten-free baking mix. If you skip out on the salt and baking powder, you can try a complete pancake mix (the kind that only needs you to add water). Please note, I’ve never tried it using the pancake mix method personally, but I know people who have.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Heat the butter until it is mostly, but not completely melted - about 15 seconds. Stir until melted fully.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, and sugar. Mix well.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients until there are almost no lumps, but do not over mix.
- Cook in the microwave for 50 - 90 seconds, or until the sides of the cake pull away from the mug a bit, but the top still looks a little moist.
- Leave the cake to cool for a couple of minutes before eating, the mug will be very hot, so be careful.
- Top with frosting, whipped cream, ice cream, or whatever you love with your vanilla cake!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 460 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 183mg Carbohydrates: 46g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 32g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g