I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I kind of a thing for cookies. Well, it’s not just “a thing,” but it’s not like we are exclusive or anything either. I also have a bit of a thing for challenges. I came across a few recipes for cookies stuffed with marshmallows which looked out-of-this-world incredible, but every single comment on the recipe noted that unless they used vegan marshmallows, the marshmallows would disappear during baking. Now, I don’t have any issues with vegan marshmallows. They taste okay, but the texture isn’t my favorite. Every vegan marshmallow I’ve tried (and I’ve tried a LOT of vegan marshmallows), always seems a bit tough and a little too chewy. I can certainly see how they would be able to stand up against the heat without any issues. Plus, they are a little bit better for you. My main concern here is the fact that not everyone is going to have ready access to vegan marshmallows and not everyone will want to have to order some online or make their own. So my challenge here was to make a marshmallow stuffed cookie without them disappearing. And I think I’ve just about cracked the code. Let me elaborate. There are actually many recipes using non-vegan marshmallows to stuff cookies. But the melting issue was there with these recipes too, even those from beloved TV personalities. I actually spent countless hours trying different methods. Some resulted in marshmallows that dissolved within minutes (Boo!), others managed to last a couple of hours. To be honest, marshmallow cookies are not meant to last. the marshmallows just don’t taste as good after a couple of days – not that these cookies would even last that long. The trick, as it turns out, is to get the dough as cold as possible without freezing them, and getting them to cool quickly without putting them in the refrigerator. Saying that, these S’Mores stuffed cookies are made ahead of time, up to three days in advance. When you form the cookies, it is also important to keep the top cookie thinner than the bottom. The marshmallows will be able to stand the heat while in the oven when they are a little more exposed. The thinner top allows the marshmallows to lower their temperature faster once they are out of the oven. You can also put these cookies by a window or near a fan. These cookies take a little extra time and love, but they are worth it.
Trust me, they are worth it.
If you like this recipe, sign up for my newsletter and get the latest awesome desserts delivered straight to your inbox!
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 - 7 sheets (about 1 cup or 90 grams) of honey graham crackers, depending on crumb size
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped milk chocolate
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Mix together both flours, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Break up the graham crackers into small pieces. Be careful to not let it get too powdery, but some graham cracker powder is okay. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Fold in the graham crackers and chocolate chips.
- Take a tablespoon of the cookie and create a small indentation.
- Stuff 4 - 5- mini marshmallows into the indentation. Top with another 2/3 tablespoon of cookie dough and press together until the dough completely covers the marshmallows. Repeat with the remaining dough and marshmallows.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and cover. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight, up to three days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the cookies and bake for 8 - 9 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Use a spatula to immediately remove the cookies to cool on a wire rack. For the best results, place the cookies near a fan to cool them quickly.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight containter and enjoy within 24 hours.
Love S’mores? Then check out these recipes!