Sweet, vibrant blood orange margaritas are a fun twist on the classic cocktail that will make any occasion feel that much more special.
There’s been so much going on in the past week and a half. My sister was pregnant with her second child and when she went to find out the gender at her last appointment, she discovered she had a tired placenta (what the heck does that even mean??) and the doctors wanted to induce her before the baby became stressed. The baby wasn’t due for a little over a month and no one was really that prepared for this to happen. So the entire family was scrambling to finish painting the new nursery and buy every single baby item known to man and hunt down every last pajama and sock her big sister ever wore.
Since I work from home and technically have the most flexible schedule, I was also on babysitting duty with my niece which was fine during the weekend, but nearly impossible during the weekdays when my own daughter has a strict bedtime and school. I don’t know how my sister is going to do it with two babies only 11 months apart. Especially now that the 11 month old is into absolutely everything and always trying to get into some kind of trouble.
She had the baby early Tuesday morning. Oh my gosh, you guys, she is just the sweetest little baby. She is so tiny and chubby and perfect in every way. I am obsessed. Luckily for my sister she also rarely cries, but when she does, her older baby likes to try and outcry her like it’s a competition. Fun times (but at least I don’t have to deal with it!).
So I am celebrating with these blood orange margaritas this weekend. I made these margs just before all of this happened and fell in love so I think I am going to have it on repeat for a while. This particular recipe for blood orange margaritas is a more classic way to make it, but I am also including a recipe for a jalapeno simple syrup you can also add for a bit of spice. Even if you aren’t that into spice, a touch of the jalapeno syrup adds a really nice tingle in the back of the throat if you add just a touch.
Need more cocktail inspiration? Try:
- honey for rim
- kosher salt and turbinado sugar for rim
- blood orange zest for rim
- 4 oz blood orange juice
- 2 oz lime juice
- 3 oz tequilla
- 1 oz triple sec
- dash orange bitters, optional
- Put honey in a shallow dish
- In another shallow dish, add kosher salt, turbinado sugar, and the zest of a blood orange together. Rub between your fingers to release the oils from the zest onto the sugar and salt.
- Dip your glass into the honey, then into the salt/sugar mix.
- Put the orange juice, lime juice, tequilla, and triple sec in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for about 20 seconds.
- Pour the drink into a glass filled with ice and top with a dash of orange bitters, if desired. Enjoy immediately.