This watermelon margarita is a refreshing summer cocktail that will keep you motivated throughout these long, hot days. Have it sweet or a little spicy, depending on your mood!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Do you do anything special to celebrate? If you are, then you might want to put this watermelon margarita on your list. It’s so fruity and refreshing, especially after you’ve been inhaling like 10 tacos (don’t tell me I’m the only one planning on eating their weight in tacos). Plus, you can control the spice level on this cocktail depending on your mood. Personally, I like mine pretty spicy!
If you want a spicy watermelon margarita, add jalapenos to your simple syrup as you make it then let sliced jalapenos soak in the watermelon juice. I also like to add a pinch of cayenne to my salt/sugar mix. The longer you let your jalapenos soak, the spicier the margarita will get, so you can really amp up the spice if you want! But if spice isn’t your thing then skip the jalapenos altogether.
The recipe is enough to make a decent sized pitcher so you can serve a few glasses. If you want to make a few different margaritas you need to try my fresh fig margarita and my bloody mary margarita. If you want to make a neat twist to serve with your chips, try the creamy margarita dip!
You can easily turn this into a frozen margarita by freezing the watermelon mixture without the alcohol in an ice cue tray. Once frozen, add the cubes, plus the alcohol to a blender and blend well.
This watermelon margarita can be made ahead of time, so you can make it up tonight and have it ready for tomorrow. If you are making it spicy, I would recommend taking out the jalapenos after a few hours unless you want it super spicy!
- 8 cups diced watermelon
- 3 sliced jalapenos, divided (optional)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- 1 1/2 cups white tequila
- salt and sugar for rim
- mint, lime, jalapeno for garnish
- Put the watermelon in a blender and blend for about two minutes until completely liquefied. Strain twice through a fine mesh strainer.
- Place the watermelon juice and half the sliced jalapenos, if using, in a large pitcher. Set aside.
- Heat the sugar, water, and remaining jalapeno (if using). Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Strain the jalapeno.
- Add the simple syrup, lime juice, triple sec, and tequila. Chill.
- Remove the jalapenos from the watermelon after 1 - 2 hours or until the margarita reaches your desired heat level.
- Lightly wet the rims of your glasses, then dip in the salt and sugar.
- Add ice and then serve the watermelon margaritas. Garnish with lime, mint, and sliced jalapeno.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 1g