A light and airy whipped feta dip with za'atar. This tasty dip is perfect for parties or to use as a spread in wraps, sandwiches, and more.
Why you'll love it
Whipped feta is this dreamy, creamy, airy, and so tangy. It's a life changer.
You can eat it as a dip - it is especially amazing with tomatoes when they are in season. Or as a spread in wraps or sandwiches or toasts. Basically, you can - and will want to - put it in everything.
And it's so easy. All you do it put some feta (only use the kind in the brine, not the crumbled variety) and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor and process until smooth. Add in any kind of flavoring you want. cayenne, garlic, onion, herbs, spices, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers. Anything!
- Feta - You must use the block feta that is kept in brine. Any type of dry or crumbled feta will not work.
- Olive oil - Extra virgin olive oil works the best here. I like one that has fruity and spicy notes to it.
- Mix-ins - You can get very creative here. You can add a ½ cup of plain yogurt to add creaminess and make it even lighter. You can add lemon juice, spices, or even nuts.
How to make
- Add the feta and oil to your food processor.
- Add in any mix-ins you want. In this case, lemon juice and spices.
- Process until the feta is smooth. Drizzle in more olive oil as needed to get a nice and smooth consistency.
- Garnish as desired, and serve!
Use good quality feta. Different brands will have slightly different flavor profiles. Use one that you enjoy on its own as it is the primary ingredient in this dip. Only use feta in blocks that has a bit of brine in it.
A quality extra virgin olive oil is also really important here because it plays a big part of the flavor development here. Taste the oil on its own, if you enjoy the flavor, you will like it in the dip. If you use a lower quality oil that doesn't have a great flavor, you will be able to taste it in the whipped feta dip, too.
If you plan on serving the dip later, keep it in the refrigerator for up to two days. The dip will thicken in the refrigerator, so let it come to room temperature, and then you should put it in the food processor and thin it with yogurt or more extra virgin olive oil if it feels too thick to dip.
Whipped feta is perfect with some homemade pita, but it is also great with so many other things as well.
- Fresh or roasted vegetables are the perfect pairing.
- Wraps are an amazing way to incorporate the dip in a fun way.
- Add it as a topping to any of your lunch or dinner bowls.
Whipped Feta Dip with Za'atar
- 1 lbs feta see notes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more if needed and more for topping
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons za'atar plus more for topping
- In a food processor add the feta, oil, lemon juice, cayenne, pepper, and za'atar.
- Pulse until creamy. Drizzle in more extra virgin olive oil if needed to get the consistency you want.
- Place in a bowl and top with more extra virgin olive oil and za'atar.
- Store in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days.