Better than the cookie! There's nothing like grabbing a scoop of edible cake batter cookie dough stuffed with chocolate and white chocolate chips and golden Oreos.
Why you'll love it
The recipe uses a store-bought funfetti cake mix to make it easier and get that real cake batter flavor. Then it is bumped it up even more with a mix of chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and golden Oreos. I was inspired by all those cute and fun cookies that Sally's Baking Addiction always makes and I think this cookie dough version is infinitely better than what you'd get anywhere else.
How to make
- Heat your cake mix and flour. Cool.
- Beat the butter and stir in the flour and cake mix.
- Fold in your favorite mix-ins like more homemade sprinkles, chocolate, Oreos, and more!
Heat treating flour
There are still some safety notes about edible cake batter cookie dough. It is eggless which is what makes it edible, but you still need to process the cake mix and flour in the edible cookie dough. Raw, uncooked flour is not safe to eat as-is.
You need to cook it. I cook mine in the microwave in a bowl for about 2 - 3 minutes, then let it cool completely before using. You can also heat it in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. I prefer the microwave method because it is faster and easier.
The reason we let the flour cool back down is because it preserves the light, fluffy texture needed for non-gritty dough.
I highly recommend not skipping this step. Better safe than sorry!
My favorite thing to do is keep a container of this eggless edible cookie dough in the freezer just like ice cream and take scoops out when I want it. I actually prefer it frozen or really cold. It makes it so much more fun to eat in my opinion, but you can store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat for easier scooping. I do not recommend leaving it at room temperature overnight as there is still dairy in the dough.
Have fun experimenting with the flavors you use! While I prefer the more traditional funfetti, you can use any cake mix you love! Chocolate, red velvet, strawberry... they would all be amazing.
You can also switch up the types of chips.. or even add chips (the potato kind). Try different cookies. The possibilities are really endless. I mean, how amazing would chocolate cake batter cookie dough be with peanut butter chips and peanut butter stuffed Oreos?
Edible Cake Batter Cookie Dough
- 2 ¼ cup funfetti cake mix
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 6 golden Oreos
- Add the cake mix and flour to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely as you move on to the next steps.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy - about two minutes.
- Add in the cake mix and flour and beat well. The mixture will look like a mix of crumbs.
- Add in the vanilla and cream and mix until smooth.
- Add in the sprinkles, chips, and crushed Oreos. Mix until just combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Leave it out to get to room temperature before eating.
- Don't forget to try the edible chocolate chip cookie dough