I miss the beach. We went only twice this whole summer and now with the mild weather, I am already well into autumn-mode and I can't go to the beach when I am thinking about Halloween. It's just not possible. So, in honor of all that is good about the beach and the boardwalk, I am bringing you funnel cake. Not just any funnel cake, mind you. This funnel cake is topped with a lemony white chocolate and powdered sugar and it is So. Freaking. Good.
I don't know about you, but whenever I go to the beach, I HAVE to go on the boardwalk and I HAVE to get funnel cake. It is mandatory. That sweet fried bread topped with powdered sugar is the definition of summer for me. There is something about the salt water air and the sound of seagulls that evokes this uncontrollable craving.
Funnel cake is super easy and inexpensive to make, plus it uses ingredients you already have on-hand. Aaaaaaaaand it takes about 20 minutes to complete the whole thing and have this glorious treat on the table. It's a win-win-win. Win!
And then I decided I needed to take it another step and add lemony ( <-- I love that word!) white chocolate because it's a flavor combinations I've been dreaming about for ages and I just could not hold it in anymore. And the results were a-maz-ing! Happy, happy belly.
When the white chocolate starts to solidify, you can start eating this with a fork and knife (we were using hands before), or you can be like me and shuffle the funnel cake to the edge of your plate and just bite down with vigor and a smile on your face. Don't worry, we don't judge around these parts.
Funnel Cake Recipe with Lemon White Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ⅔ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 oz white chocolate
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- powdered sugar
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a depp fryer or cast iron skillet to 375 degrees.
- Mix the eggs and milk together until light and slightly frothy. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the batter is completely smooth.
- Fill a pastry bag or funnel tube with the batter. Place a finger on the bottom hole to prevent the batter from spewing out.
- Place the bag or funnel over the oil and allow the batter to release in a random, but mostly overlapping circular patterns. As soon as it is browned and floating in the oil, flip and heat for about another 45 - 60 seconds. Place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Once the funnels cakes are completed, Heat the white chocolate on a double boiler until melted. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix well. Add the heavy cream slowly until the white chocolate is a consistency that is easy to drizzle.
- Drizzle the tops of the funnel cakes and top with powdered sugar.